one

My father gruffly steps down the stairs, making my eyes snap over to him

My father gruffly steps down the stairs, making my eyes snap over to him. He talks on the phone, probably to his assistant, Pietro.

"Damn it," he sighs before turning toward me and sending me a wave with a smile. I send him a grin and wave back before he turns back around and walks to his office. With a huge sigh, I fall onto my back on the leather couch, staring at the pearly white ceiling above me. Gold scratches are along it, making it look like marble.

"Bella?" I hear my name. I raise my hand to my maid's voice. Although I don't count her as a maid. I count her as a second mother. Cindy has been my best friend ever since my father hired her two years ago to care for me when he wasn't around. "I have your lunch ready," Cindy says, creeping over to the couch and looking down at me. I nod, turning over on my side before reaching out and placing my feet on the floor. The hardwood digs into my heels as I walk with her to the kitchen. She hands me my BLT, making a smile come along my face. Cindy makes the best BLTs.

"How long has father been on the phone?" I ask as I take a bite of my food. Cindy thinks for a little bit before answering.

"A half an hour?

"Something must've happened," I mumble, turning to look at the room my father walked in. The door is shut, but I can still hear his angry voice through the door. Suddenly, the door opens and my father stomps out, looking aggravated. He looks over to me and makes his way over after signing, his vexation fading.

"Honey," he turns to me, his face already full of sorrow. "I need to go to the office for a few days. He walks over to me and kisses me on the cheek. I know it won't be for a few days. It's most likely going to be a month before he steps into the huge white doors that lead into our penthouse. My face must show my sadness because my dad tries to lighten the mood. "Don't worry. Time flies."

I nod at him before seeing him about to turn and leave. The office is in Virginia, south of a quiet town. He has a condo there, so he's probably going to stay close to that. Or in it. We have condos in every state in case something were to happen to a certain Cape. Since Capes are in every state. Capes being the giant apartment buildings my father owns.

"Love you," I shout at him as he walks out the door, his famous old briefcase beside him.

"I love you too, Bella," my father says before turning and walking out the door, sending one last wave of a goodbye. Once the door shuts, Cindy lets out a deep breath. She knows how much my father leaving bothers me. Not only that, but I always get worried ever since the accident with my mother.

"Do you want to go out?" Cindy asks as I silently place my plate in the sink. "Maybe give Lexi a call," Cindy suggests. I shrug. Although Lexi is my best friend, with her 80s style hair, she just doesn't get what I go through when my dad leaves.

"I may. I don't know. I think I may just want to stay in tonight," I say lowly. "Thank you for the sandwich."

"No problem, sweetie," she says as she caresses my cheek with her small hands. I smile at her before pulling her in for a hug.