nine

Justin leads me from our stolen car to his house

Justin leads me from our stolen car to his house. I stare at it in wonder. It looks cozy with a log cabin exterior. The windows are boarded up though, and the driveway has skid marks running down the length of it. The garage is huge, making me wonder how many cars he really has. I scan up and down the house, suddenly getting a lurch of homesickness. I've practiced pushing thoughts of my father away, but seeing this cabin makes me think of one of my father's condos in Chicago as well.

Justin opens the front door, making the smell of boy flood my nose. It smells like pine and wood. Something I never thought a criminal would smell like. I think I expected blood stains on the floor and claw marks along the wall, but it literally looks like something out of a home magazine with a wooden roof and deep brown furniture. A huge TV is placed on the wall in front of a rather large couch, and the kitchen is just as big. Everything sparkles in that room, making me believe Justin barely cooks. I admire every place of the house, looking from the bathroom to the master room. It's not at all messy like I would expect a boys room to be. Justin keeps surprising me.

The clothes are hung up in an open closet and the dressers are glowing with the morning sun. I run my fingers along the bed, getting shocked as I feel how soft it is. No wonder Justin wanted to stop here and sleep here a night. Not that I'm complaining. It's the first time I've felt at home the whole time I've been gone. Not to mention, I literally love this house.

"Uh, want something to drink?" I turn around to see Justin fidgeting with his fingers, making me believe he doesn't really welcome people in this house.

"Sure. A water, thanks," I tell him as I follow him to the kitchen. He opens a cabinet, revealing only a few glasses. Oh yeah, since he lives here alone and is probably barely here, I doubt he would have a ton of glasses. He hands the glass to me and I say thanks as I take a drink out of it. I realize for a quick moment that Justin's mouth as probably been on this same glass, making me hesitate. I've kissed his mouth before, and I really liked it. I place my mouth against the cup and tip it upward.

My feelings are confusing with Justin. I literally am on an emotional rollercoaster and keep on revisiting it. I feel like I should hate him, but I just can't imagine despising Justin. Even when I first met him, I didn't hate him. I just didn't like him that much. I still think that I trusted him more than Marco. I don't know. Maybe it's Stockholm syndrome. But even then, he's not really keeping me with him against my will. He's given me chances to escape, and every time he does, I don't even think of leaving his side. Something has to be wrong with that.

When I finished my glass of water, I stare at Justin as he looks through some drawers. He pulls out a chip bag and leans against the counter as he starts eating some. I hold my hand out, grinning as some salty chips hit my hand. We finished our snacks a long time ago, but we did not get hungry in the car. I now realize how hungry I am.

"Can I cook something?" I've always loved cooking with Cindy when I was home. She would tell me what I was doing wrong and correct me, making me nod and make the best dish ever. I've been missing her macaroni and cheese, so I hope that Justin has the ingredients for it.