four

I heard her crying

I heard her crying. I turned in my seat at a red light and saw her wipe her nose. Then her eyes met mine and she instantly turned around, hate flowing off her. I guess I would hate me too. I feel like punching that glower off her face, but I know I wouldn't be able to. She just looks so tiny I fear I would seriously injure her. Hence the reason I haven't been able to lay a hand on her yet.

Soon after, she falls asleep. She moves her body across the seats, positioning her back toward me. I stare at it for a while before realizing something.

She trusts me.

No one turns their back on their capture, especially me. So as she sleeps like that, its obvious she thinks I won't hurt her. I may need to change that. I pull into a 24-hour convenience store and turn around to look at her, wondering if I should wake her up with a slap. My eyes move down her body, down her fragile spine. Why do I feel like I have to protect her?

Turning around in my seat, I punch my steering wheel. What the hell is wrong with me? I turn to make sure she isn't up yet and then slide out of the truck. I need a drink.

I lock the doors as I am walking, but pause when I realize something. I turn back to the car and I slip out my knife and cut the ropes on her hands. If she wants to leave, she can now, I don't care. But I also know she has nowhere to go or anyone to call except 911. But they may make this whole thing a bigger problem. Before I can figure out the consequences, I already have the rope in two and am sliding it off her wrists. I pull back and enter the store through the automatic doors. I walk past the man that greets me and straight over to the beer section. I grab a 24 pack before turning around and walking to the front desk, only I pause when I pass the bandages section. My mind flashes back to the cut I put on her. I regret going so deep, but she wouldn't stop moving.

You don't need to pay for her, I tell myself. She should be nothing to you when you give her away.

I stare down the aisle before walking past it. I walk to the register and out the door, placing my drinks in the car I took from the man. I take one look at her calf before I curse and shut the car door. I run into the store and into the bandages aisle. I look around before my eyes land on just some wrap she can put around it. I grab that, pausing again when I see a brace for the chest. Only it slips around to the back, so it pretty much could be a brace for the ribs. She should be fine without it. Only she may not. If she dies, she's useless to you, another voice says in my head. I curse before grabbing that as well, passing some clothes on my way to the register again. 

Clothes

I'm sure Marcos gang—the Hellhounds—will recognize us by our clothes. Groaning, I grab some stuff from the rack and move to the front. I place all my stuff on the register, sending a fake smile to the old man working at the register.

"Wow, all this. Seems like your in trouble."

I just laugh, despite how ironic it is he's right. I'm in deep shit. Not only do I have to protect myself, but I have to protect the girl until Marco gives me my money. Realizing this, I grab a sub that's behind me and toss it onto the register as well. She probably needs to eat. And need water. God damn, it's like getting a pet. I grab a water as well, throwing that on there. The man just rings it up slowly. I watch the price go up, and finally hand over a hundred.