Part 32- The Real World

I was crying hysterically. I felt numb to everything. I couldn't believe it. I actually couldn't believe any of what was said to me on the phone. I didn't believe it. I refused to believe it.

But this was The Real World. I couldn't run away from reality this time.

'Jess, baby, it's ok,' Ashton cupped my face. I was still roaring, nothing he could do would make me feel better right now. I was breaking.

'Just let it all out, don't try to speak. Just cry.' He held my body firmly against his. I was glad he did. If he didn't I would have crumbled to the floor. I stayed in his arms, his body supporting mine, screaming into his chest.

'Why?' I yelled, screeching and gasping for breath. 'Why him?' I balled my fists. I wanted to hit something. I wanted to break something. I was so angry.

'Who Jess?' Ashton soothed me. He rubbed the small of my back and held my head close to him. 'Who died?' His voice a whisper of worry.

'Gorge.'

'Gorge?' Ashton asked in disbelief.

'Yes,' I wheezed, sobbing between my words. 'He got, hit by, a car. He is, dead. My best, friend. Gone.' 

I couldn't cope. Everything was wrong. 

Ashton was stunned silent but I felt his hold on me tighten. 'I'll drive us to the hospital...' I could hear the emotion is his voice, 'just give me a minute.' He rested his head on top of mine. It was my turn to support him. 'Calum's going to be devastated.'

'It was Calum I was talking to,' I said after a long, deafening silence. He'd told me he'd been in a fight with Gorge and Gorge had backed away from him, onto the road and into the path of a speeding, drunk-driver. The sound of his voice, hollow and dry, like he'd just woken up after screaming in his sleep about a terrible nightmare. There was no wake up for us now though.

'I'm going to go get Luke and Michael,' he said eventually as he walked me over to a stack of boxes and sat me down on them.

Ashton had to pull Luke away from a group of pretty blond girls and Luke didn't seem amused. When he found out what had happened though, he understood. 'Oh shit,' he whispered over and over. He followed Ashton back to the small room I was in. There was no sign of Michael anywhere.

They helped me stand up because I was incapable of doing so myself. Ashton kept a hold of me so I remained upright.

'Luke, call Michael and see where he is.'

Luke nodded and did as he was told. Michael didn't answer.

There was a door at the end of the corridor, swinging open. We walked out and instantly the freezing wind attacked our faces. It just added to the pain and the horrible reality of it all.

I could see at the corner of the street flashing blue lights and I could hear sirens. I actually felt so faint my knees buckled beneath me. Ashton steadied me but I still felt like I had no control of my body.

The minivan was parked at the other end of the street. I had never felt more releaved in my life. I couldn't face walking by the scene of the accident. The thought of Gorge's blood in dark puddles on the tarmacadam made me cry weaker than I had been before.

We climbed into the van and Ashton drove us, as careful as ever, to the hospital where my best friend was confirmed dead. The same hospital my mum taken her last breath.

*

We walked silently through the dull corridors of the building. Doctors and nurses were running frantically between rooms, friends and family were waiting impatiently to hear news. It really did feel like something from a movie. I wanted to switch it off, I wanted to stop watching but I couldn't.