Brotherly Bonding

(this takes place while Mathias and Lukas are having their talk)

<><><><>

After getting Alfred to bed Gilbert made his way to the cafeteria. The mood in the room was very somber especially around the three remaining Nordics, Gilbert spared them a look before going over to talk with Ludwig. 

"Hey Luddy can we talk for a minute?" He asked as he approached the German. Ludwig raised an eyebrow before shrugging, he briefly talked with Feliciano who walked away to give the brothers some privacy.  

"What do you want to talk about Gilbert?" Ludwig asked as the two brothers took a seat at a vacant table. 

"I think we should all take a break from the book for the rest of the day"Gilbert said which caused Ludwig to raise an eyebrow in confusion. 

"And why's that?" He asked while tilting his head to the side.

"We've been reading the thing none stop for days we're all stressed, plus Alfred, Lukas and Mathias more then likely won't be rejoining us for the rest of the day" Gilbert explained causing Ludwig to slowly nod in agreement. 

"Your right we all deserve a break, will you help me spread the news?" He asked while standing up only for him to pause as he suddenly realized something. 

"Wait, I understand why Lukas and Mathias wouldn't come back but what's wrong with Alfred?" Ludwig asked in confusion, but Gilbert was already long gone spreading the news of the break t the others. Ludwig's eyebrows furrowed in confusion before he shook his head and went off to find Feliciano, if Gilbert didn't deem it important enough to inform him then it wasn't any of his business. 

What he didn't realize was that a certain Canadian had overheard him. A concerned look appeared on Matthew's face before he rushed off towards his and Alfred's shared room to see if the American was there. Once in the room he let out a breath of relief when he saw his brother fast asleep on his bed, his concern however came back with a vengeance when he saw the tear tracks on his face. 

Matthew made his way over to his brother and sat on the edge of the bed. He reached his hand out and gently ran his fingers through his brothers hair, being careful to avoid his cow lick. Alfred made a content humming sound in his sleep as he leaned into Matthew's fingers. Matthew chuckled softly at the action.

"Oh Alfie what am I going to do with you" He whispered fondly. He got up briefly to grab a book before settling back down next to Alfred so that he could continue to run his fingers through his hair. It reminded him a lot of when they were younger and he would comfort Alfred after a nightmare and vice versa, he missed those times an awful lot. 

"Mattie?" Alfred whispered groggily as he glanced up at his brother. Matthew gave him a soft smile. 

"Don't worry Alfie I got you" He whispered softly causing a happy/sleepy grin to appear on his face before he snuggled back into Matthew's side and falling back to sleep. Matthew chuckled to himself once more before returning to his book. He'd wake the American up later for dinner but for now he just enjoyed his little brothers company.