Witch!

(So I only realized after writing this chapter that during the Salem Witch Trials no one was actually burned at the stake, almost all of them were hanged. I really did not want to change anything that I had already written so I chose to leave it as is, so I'm sorry for the historic inaccuracy I'll try to make them more accurate from now on)

<><><><> 

Alfred's eyes immediately landed on a horrifying sight. It was a young woman tied to a stake that was ablaze. She was screaming and crying in agony as the whole crowd cheered, except for one. His eyes trailed away from the sight to land on his younger self who was watching in horror as tears streaked down his face. 

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry" Little Alfred mumbled to himself as he watched the woman burn. 

Tears slipped from Alfred's as he covered his face. This was the first time he had ever seen a Witch Trial in all it's horrific glory. And none he saw afterwards would ever have more of an impact on him then this one. 

After this he stubbornly refused to acknowledge the existence of magic, because all it brought was heart ache and death. 

The memory became fuzzy before refocusing, only now it showed that young woman and little Alfred playing in the forest. 

"Come on Marie catch me!" Little Alfred shouted cheerfully causing the woman to chuckle as she ran even faster in an attempt to catch him. 

Alfred choked as his head snapped up and stared at the playful duo. 

"No... not this" he whispered brokenly to himself. 

Little Alfred laughed and continued to run, however as soon as he passed the tree line he tried to skid to a stop as he saw a steep cliff. He wasn't able to stop however and tumbled right off with a scream leaving his lips. Marie broke through the tree line and stared in horror as she watched Little Alfred falling.

"Alfred!" She screamed before a blue glow encased her hands as he used it to pull Alfred back up onto the cliff side, once he was safe she pulled him into a tight hug while he stared at her in awe.

"Marie! You can do magic!" He exclaimed loudly causing Marie's eyes to widen as she shushed him. 

"Alfred you can't tell anyone about what I just did" She begged causing Little Alfred to give her a confused look. 

"Why? You have an amazing gift?' He questioned causing her to give him a weak smile. 

"Because people will be very angry and I could get hurt" She explained which made Little Alfred's eyes widen fearfully. 

"But why?" He asked worriedly and Marie just shook her head. 

"I don't know Alfie, but you gotta promise me that you won't tell anyone" She stressed and Little Alfred nodded. 

"I promise" He said in a serious tone of voice before he placed his little hands on her shoulders.

"I won't let anyone hurt you" He said in a voice that sounded much older then he looked. Marie just chuckled fondly and gave him a big hug. 

"Okay Alfie" She said sweetly as the memory started fading out. 

"I'm so sorry Marie" Alfred sobbed as he found himself once again in front of the faded out door. It was all his fault she died, he couldn't protect her. He was powerless to stop his own people from murdering an innocent woman who had done nothing wrong but be born with magic. 

"No more, I don't want to see anymore" He mumbled as he curled up in a ball, as if that would magically make everything go away. 

Instead he was almost violently propelled into the next door that wasn't faded out. He clenched his eyes shut and refused to open them, he would not acknowledge another terrible memory. 

"Alfred?"