My Friend By The Water

Alfred glanced around and saw a beautiful waterfall and then be saw himself jumping on the rocks around it while humming a cheerful tune to himself. An excited grin appeared on his face as he recognized where he was. 

"Adrian where are you?" Alfred called out as he paused on the rock he was on and glanced around curiously. He failed to notice the head poking out of the water behind him. 

Alfred shook his head fondly as he watched Adrian pounce out of the water and pull him in. 

"Ah!" Alfred cried out in surprise as he was submerged into the water. When he poked his head back out he gave Adrian an unimpressed look but he just laughed and swam around him cheerfully. 

"Come on Alfie let's play!" He said cheerfully as he placed his hand on Alfred's neck, they glowed a faint blue colour before he removed his hand leaving behind gills on Alfred's neck. The American rolled his eyes playfully as he ducked his head back underwater so that he could breathe. 

Alfred smiled as he watched Adrian swim around him excitedly, his azure blue tail splashing the water in his excitement. Adrian was one of the only mythical creatures that Alfred acknowledge, not that he had had much choice in the matter. He had found Adrian injured and had nursed him back to health and after that Adrian refused to let him distance himself, he was a stubborn little shit. 

"I found this beautiful rock formation a little ways from here, you're going to love it!" Adrian gushed as he grasped Alfred's hand and began dragging him away. Alfred could do little less but laugh and allow himself to be pulled around. 

The memory began to become fuzzy before it refocused again he was still in the small little cove but this time he saw himself sitting on the shoreline with Adrian sitting next to him with a thoughtful look on his face. 

"You're not a normal human Alfred" Adrian muttered as he turned to look at Alfred who stiffened up in shock. 

Alfred gasped as he remembered this conversation. 

"What are you talking about?' Alfred asked nervously and Adrian just gave him a soft smile. 

"Mermaids generally have a longer life span than humans but even I'm starting to notice the passage of time and yet you haven't aged a day since I met you" He revealed and Alfred winced as he rubbed the back of his neck nervously. 

"Your right I'm not a normal human" He said uncomfortably and Adrian placed a gentle hand on his shoulder. 

"You're a Country arent you?" He asked and Alfred's eyes widened tenfold. 

"How do you know that?' He asked stunned earning him a chuckle from Adrian as he laid down on the sand with a playful smile on his face. 

"I've met a few Countries in my life, including a very enthusiastic Dane, so I recognized the aura that surrounds you" He said warmly and Alfred could only gape at him in shock. 

"Why did you never say anything before?" He asked and Adrian sighed as he gave him a sad little smile. 

"I was hoping you'd tell me yourself but I realized that was never happening" He said softly and Alfred winced as he gave Adrian a guilty look. 

Alfred shifted uncomfortably. 

"You don't need to be guilty Alfie, I know that being a Country is a tightly guarded secret" He said in understanding as he sat back up ad wrapped an arm around Alfred's shoulder who sank into the embrace. 

"Thanks, Ri" Alfred mumbled softly as he snuggled into his friend's side. 

Alfred smiled softly at the sight, he had told very few people he was a Country. Other than his bosses and the people who knew through other Countries he could count on one hand the number of people who knew because he wanted them to know. He was so glad that Adrian wasn't angry at him for never trusting him with that secret, he sometimes wondered if Adrian had never brought the subject up would he have told him on his own or not. 

The memory fuzzed-up once again and when he refocused he saw himself crouched on a rock and staring sadly down at Adrian who had a serious expression on his face. 

"What do you mean you have to go?" He asked sadly and Adrian just sighed softly. 

Alfred sucked in a sharp breath as he realized what was happening. 

"Something I happening in my Kingdom and they need me, Alfred" He said seriously and all Alfred could do was bite his lip worriedly. Adrian gave him a  soft look as he took one his hands into his own and placed a bracelet into them. 

Alfred absentmindedly rubbed at one of the bracelets around his wrist. 

"Here take this as something to remind you of me" He said warmly and Alfred smiled softly as he slipped the bracelet onto his wrist. 

"You'll come back right?" He asked and Adrian smiled as he patted his knee. 

"Of course" He said earnestly and Alfred's smile widened slightly. They shared a quick hug before Adrian turned to leave. 

"Till we meet again Alfie" He said softly before he began swimming away while Alfred waved after him a sad smile on his face. 

Alfred frowned sadly at the retreating figure of his friend as a single tear slipped down his face, he never saw Adrian again. He had no idea what had happened to him and he likely never will. He let out a sober sigh as he stared at the hall of doors before he wiped the tear away and entered the next door. 

He furrowed his eyebrows in confusion as he glanced around all he could see was darkness in every direction. 

~To Be Continued~