IMAGINE: meeting Shannon for the first time as Jared's girlfriend

Constance had invited us to dinner. I was bricking it, of course, as this was the first time I was going to meet Jared's family. 

"It'll be great!" He had said, pinching my nose. "They'll love you."

I looked in the mirror, feeling awkward. Hair up? Hair down? Half up half down? Shit, I don't know, I thought. 

"Babe we gotta get going!" Jared yelled from the bottom of the stairs.

"I look ridiculous, J!" I yelled back, trying to secure a messy French twist. "Like, seriously. Did your mom actually say to dress smart?" I smoothed down the silk black dress I had bought in town yesterday. I felt silly. I was used to wearing a sweater, jeans, and sneakers; not a little black dress and a pair of silver stilettos. 

"She sure did, now come on, I bet you look a million dollars, just get down here already!" I could hear him growing impatient, but not in an angry way. He sounded excited.

"Well, this is as good as it's gonna get." I muttered to my reflection. I grabbed my clutch bag and shut off the light. 

I edged into view at the top of the stairs and Jared's face lit up. He was wearing a black suit with a black silk tie and he looked like a God. I just couldn't understand how someone so good looking would want to be with someone as plain and average as myself.

"Wow." He breathed. "Come here." He took my hand and kissed it. 

"J, seriously." I laughed. "It's only dinner. I feel like I'm going to the Oscars."

He laughed, and circled an arm around my waist. 

"You're going to the Leto clan Oscars." He said, nudging me towards the door. "It's only for a few hours, you know? Then when we come home I can take that dress right off you." 

I gazed up at him from underneath my smoky eyelids. "Only if I get to take that tie off first."

"Deal." He nodded, and then we left.

  ₪ Ø lll ·o. 

 We pulled up and I gazed out of the car window, up at the grand metal fence surrounding Jared's mom's house. I somehow doubted this was her place, but when the gates opened it felt suddenly quite daunting.

"This is her house?" I asked.

"Sure is." Jared smiled. He reached over and rubbed my knee. "It's okay. You'll do great."

Jared parked the car on the gravel driveway and circled round to the passenger side while I took off my seatbelt. He opened the door for me and gave a funny sort of bow.

"Thanks." I snorted. "You're an idiot."

He took my hand and gripped it tight. When he rang the doorbell, it took a good few seconds before we could see any sign of life beyond the frosted glass. 

"Hey, mom." Jared let go of my hand and hugged Constance who was already smiling. "It's great to see you. Mom, I would like you to meet my girlfriend, Y/N, Y/N, this is my mom." 

"Hi, honey, nice to meet you finally." We gave each other the fake double kiss on the cheek. I glanced at Jared who seemed more than pleased. 

"Is Shannon here?" Jared asked, folding his arms.

"Sure, honey, he got here around half an hour ago. He's just through there eating some of those chips he likes so much. Come through, come through, I'll get us some wine. Y/N you like red? White? Rose?"

"Red is perfect, thank you." I said, stepping into the house properly. My heels got caught in the carpet a little.

"Great. Go through and sit with Shanny, I'll be right there. Jared, red for you as well?"

"Sure, thanks mom." He nodded. I watched Constance shimmy away into the kitchen. She looked amazing. She was wearing a long gold dress that glistened in the light. 

"Your mom looks like an Oscar." I muttered to Jared. He burst out laughing, and then tried to stifle it.

"Oh my God." He said. "I told you didn't I, come on." He took my arm and lead me through to the front room, where we could hear Shannon chomping on some nibbles.

He flicked his head round when he heard the door open and my heart did a nosedive. This was Jared's brother?! Daaaammnn

He gave us the most mischievous little smile and straightened his tie.

"Jesus Christ, look what the neighbour's cat dragged in." He stood up and pat Jared on the back so hard he almost fell forwards.

"Hey, Shannon." They embraced and I almost melted. They were both so adorable. It made me feel a little sad, being an only child. I wished I had someone in the way they had each other.

"Good to see you, man." Shannon punched Jared lightly on the arm, and then turned to me. 

"Shannon, this is Y/N." Jared presented me with pride beaming all over his face. 

"Hey, girl." He said, diving in for a hug. I felt the ridged plains of his chest and arms dig into me as he prolonged the embrace. As he let go he whispered to me, "You look beautiful."

"Th-thank you." I said. "I've heard so much about you."

"Have you, now?" He winked at me. Oh bless him, I thought, he can't even wink with one eye. This is too much. He turned to Jared. "Good things, I hope, huh?"

"Always, Shannon. Always good things." Jared put his arm around me again to claim me back, but I never broke eye contact with Shannon as we sat back down on opposite sofas.