IMAGINE: having a romantic evening in with Shannon

I wanted to cheer Shannon up. He had been looking so down recently and spending increased amounts of time away by himself with nobody but his own thoughts for company.

I had to do something, so I called Jared.

"Hey J, it's only me. Are you free to talk?"

"Sure, any time." He sounded surprised to hear from me but pleased nonetheless. "What's up, kitten?"

I sighed. "It's Shannon." I said. "I'm worried about him."

Jared paused for a few seconds. I could tell from the silence that this wasn't the first time a girl had called him for advice about Shannon. 

"What you have to understand about Shannon is that he likes to spend time alone to get through negative emotions and feelings that he has brought on himself." Jared explained. "It's not something you've done, Y/N, please understand that."

I smiled sadly

I smiled sadly. "I thought so. I just wanna help him, you know? What should I do?"

"Be spontaneous." Jared said, "But don't be OTT. He likes subtle things. Whatever you do I'm sure you'll find some way to relight his fire."

I suddenly had an idea. "Jared, you're a star, thank you."

He snorted. "Not sure what I did, but you're welcome." Then he sounded serious, "You know, Y/N, whatever he says or does, even if he's a bit of a douchebag sometimes, you mean the world to him."

"He said that to you?"

He gave me a funny sort of laugh. "You're all he ever talks about." 

"Thanks, J. I needed to hear that."

"It's cool. Hey, listen I gotta go but I'll speak to you soon, okay? Call me any time."

  ₪ Ø lll ·o. 

 I thought about what Jared had said to me. Relight his fire. In the entire time we had lived together, we had never lit the wood burner in the lounge area, and I thought it strange knowing that Shannon was a bit of a pyromaniac. 

It was a bleak and dismal winter evening so I lit the damn thing.

I watched the flames dance and crack behind the glass. It was hypnotising. As I watched, I got a text from Shannon.

On my way home pumpkin. I've got us pizza! xxx

He seemed to have worked himself into a better mood by the sounds of things. This morning he had left without saying a word to me and with no indication of where he was going or how long it would take. I hated that. No communication. 

Can't wait babe! I've got something for you too ;) xxx

I turned all the lights off in the lounge area and let the firelight dominate the room. I lit a few tealights on the sideboard just to give it that extra romantic glow. I realised that if he had got us food he was probably in town and that was only fifteen minutes away so I didn't have long.

I threw all the cushions I could find on the floor in front of the fire and I hauled our duvet off the bed and dragged it down the stairs. There was a fluffy rug in front of the fire and it made everything look so cosy. I started brewing some fresh coffee and found our favourite mugs.

While the coffee was percolating I threw all the drawers in the kitchen open trying to find Shannon's bluetooth speakers. I thought he would have stuffed them in the 'man drawer' where all the electrical equipment lived but they were nowhere in sight.

God dammit, I thought, eyeing the digital clock on the microwave. I need the damn speakers. I ran around the house frantically looking for them. I spied them on the bathroom window ledge just as I heard a car door slam. He must have been listening to something when he had taken a shower this morning.

I charged down the stairs and set them down on the coffee table next to the fire. 

  ₪ Ø lll ·o. 

 "Y/N, I'm home!" He yelled from the hall way. He balanced the pizza boxes in one hand as he bent down to remove his shoes. 

I had the mugs of coffee all ready next to our little cosy den and I was just linking my phone to the speakers.

"Sweetheart?" He called when I didn't answer.

I didn't say anything. I just waited for him to find me.

He looked puzzled when he first entered the room, but when he saw me laying next to the fire he gave me the cheekiest smile I'd seen in weeks.

"Babe, what is this?" He bounded over to me, placed the pizzas on the duvet and threw himself onto the squishy mound of cushions I had made.

"I wanted to cheer you up." I said, crawling over to him. "I've missed you, Shan." I kissed him for ages and he rolled me over and gazed long into my eyes.

"I'm sorry I've been a shit." He said. 

"It's okay. You're allowed to have feelings." I ran my fingers through his hair and pulled him close to me. "And it's about time we lit that fucking wood burner, don't you think?"

He laughed. "You're damn right it's about time." He grabbed the pizzas and flipped the lids open. "It's also about time I ate. Fucking starving."

I smiled at him. "I made you coffee too."

"Mhmm." His eyes grew wide as he took a mouthful of pizza. "Fuck yes." He seized his mug and breathed in the scent of the coffee. "You're too good to me." He said. "You've even got my favourite fucking music on."

He basked in the firelight, enjoying the sounds of Steely Dan coming from the speakers. 

When we couldn't eat another thing, we got changed into our pyjamas and favourite fluffy socks and I cuddled up to him in front of the fire. 

He drew circles on my shoulder and pulled me so close to him that I couldn't move even if I wanted to. I lay my head on his chest and closed my eyes.

"I love you, pumpkin." he whispered to me.

"I love you too, Shannon."