Chapter 5 - Her Guardian

It was here again. That dark, menacing aura. Taehyung shivered as he stepped outside the school building. He was worried about Sooyun. It didn't really click as to why, but he just knew. Whatever it was about her that kept pulling him in, Taehyung wanted to find it.

"Why are you here?" He heard someone whisper.

Being a nosy person and having no shame about it, Taehyung immediately went about searching for the source. It sounded familiar. The voice, that was.

Taehyung peeked around the corner and covered his mouth from making any noise. It was Sooyun and...that guy from before? Taehyung tried to keep himself hidden as he eavesdropped.

"I felt it. You used your powers, didn't you?"

Sooyun avoided the guy's gaze. He gripped her arm and pulled her into him. It took all his strength for Taehyung to not jump in. It seemed like he was being rough with her.

"Sooyun! Answer me!"

"It was an accident! I panicked and didn't have a choice!"

She yanked her arm from his grip, glaring at him.

"Don't act like you've never made a mistake before, Jungkook Oppa. We both know that's not true."

The guy, Jungkook Taehyung assumed, stiffened from her statement.

"That was different. You were in danger and I was doing my job in protecting you. Is that wrong?"

"Maybe not, when you look at it that way, but it still happened. You can't ever forget. It'll haunt you for the rest of your life. Which sucks, since it doesn't seem like you'll be dying any time soon." She spat.

"This isn't even about me," he muttered. "I came for you."

"I told you not to. I don't need you to watch over me all the time!"

"That's clearly not true. There's someone here who caused you to use your powers which means you can't handle it yourself!"

"Jungkook-!"

"Shh!" He placed a finger over her lips suddenly.

Jungkook looked around before tentatively sniffing the air. Taehyung felt nervous as the Jungkook person slowly walked towards the edge of the wall. Sooyun looked confused until she caught it.

The scent. The scent of blood. It was faintly familiar. Her eyes widened, but before she could grab him, Jungkook swiftly turned the corner. Taehyung yelped when his collar was gripped and he was lifted into the air, shoved up against the wall by a furious and suspicious Jungkook.

"Who are you?" He said with a dark tone, the words feeling like ants crawling up Taehyung's skin.

Sooyun sighed and shook her head. She tried, she really did. But this kid just wouldn't get the hint. He wouldn't leave her alone, and now he pays the price.

"I-I-I was j-just..." Taehyung desperately looked around, hoping words would appear into thin air. He glanced at Sooyun for help, but she just looked away.

"I don't know what you thought you were doing but stay away from my sister. Got it?"

"Y-You're sister...?"

"If I catch you anywhere near her, I'll hurt you. Just ask the others in this shit school."

Sooyun shut her eyes, biting her lip. With a sigh, she gripped onto Jungkook's jacket.

"Let him go, he's not worth it. He's just some new student who didn't know."

Jungkook continued to stare at the shaken Taehyung, contemplating whether to land a punch on his face or not.

"Oppa, let's go home. Please, I'll listen to you for now on. Just...let him go."

Giving into his sister, Jungkook released Taehyung, letting him fall to the ground.

"Stay away from Sooyun."

Gripping her hand in his, Jungkook stomped off with a relieved Sooyun behind him. Taehyung gasped for air. Never in his life has he been so scared of someone. Never in his life has he encountered someone so strong.

"Taehyung?"

Hoseok. Taehyung glanced up to find the older gazing at him with worry. "What happened to you? What are you doing down there?"

Taehyung accepted the help in getting up, but quickly shoved the older away from him. "It's nothing, Hyung. See you later."

Hoseok watched worriedly as the boy stalked off. Then he caught something. Footprints in the snow, big ones and smaller ones. The lingering scent was familiar, too. He glanced back up into the direction Taehyung had left in.

"It wasn't him...was it?" 

***

Sooyun slumped down against the wall once she was locked up in her room. She sighed heavily as she remembered what just happened. Her brother had always been overprotective since their parents died with the rest of the clan.

It was something she was used to. She didn't have a choice in the matter. Her love and worry for him and his mental health made her this way. She was afraid of snapping and leaving him alone.

Though, there would always be a part of her that hated him. She hated him for what he did. A knock at the door. Of course, it could only be one person. Just to check, she sniffed the air for her brother's blood. Yep.

"Go away. I'm tired."

"Let's talk."

"No thanks."

"Sooyun...Are you okay, love?"

She bit her lip and stood up. She barely opened the door a crack before Jungkook forced it wide open and stepped into the room.

"Why do you seem mad at me?"

"I'm not." She looked away.

"I just...I wish you weren't...you."

Jungkook sighed and grazed his bottom lip with his tongue. "I am who I am because I'm trying to protect you, baby girl. I don't mean any harm to you."

"But from what? What are you protecting me from, Jungkook?"

"I..." He looked down. Sooyun took a step back as she continued questioning her brother. "What is it that you're so scared of? What in this world is so dangerous that you can't let me out of your sight?"

"I just can't go through it again."

"...Th-That doesn't count. It happens, okay? People die. That shouldn't stop you from living."

"Sooyun-"

"And what about this?" She yanked the collar of her shirt to the side, showcasing a dark trail of scars colored to act as a tattoo on the base of her neck. Two tiny holes rest in the middle of it all.

"Wh...Why did..." She sobbed through the words, "Why did you mark me?"

Jungkook gazed at her sadly, taking a few steps forward. "I was just..."

She bit her lip and clenched her fists. It wasn't the first time they had argued over this, but the dark topic always brought stinging tears to her eyes.

"I'm your sister, Jungkook..." She whispered sorrowfully.

Jungkook shook his head in slight shame. " I just don't want to lose you. Please...understand where I'm coming from."

Before she could react, he was already upon her. Hugging her to his chest tightly, Sooyun felt the sobs trying to escape as his breathing quickened.

"Don't leave me."

She shut her eyes. It'll be another tiring period of time coddling him like a child. Another moment when she would have to put everything aside and hold onto him, reassuring him over and over that he's not alone. It was painful and she hated it, but it was worth it. He was her brother after all.

She gripped the hem of his white shirt and shut her eyes, leaning into him. "You're so pitiful."

"I know."

CHAPTER V fin.