Chapter 15 - Distance and Secrets

Yugyeom leaned into Youngjae and whispered, "What's wrong with them?"

"No clue. It's like they've all been through something traumatic," Youngjae shrugged. Yugyeom shook his head as they continued to stare.

"It's eerie..."

All at the same time, Yoongi, Hoseok, and Taehyung sighed heavily at the lunch table. The other two became startled. "Eh, Taehyung," Youngjae started, "Is everything alright? Did we miss something?"

"What do you mean?"

"Well, it's just...You all seem so depressed."

Yoongi abruptly stood up and addressed the ensemble. "I need some air. Tell Hoseok to come find me if he decides to stop acting like a child."

Hoseok chuckled as the older began to walk off, "I'm the one acting like a child. Okay."

He didn't need to turn. He knew the glare burning painfully into his back was coming from Yoongi. Yugyeom turned his head in confusion. "Um...are you two...? Did you guys fight?" he asked.

"It's not anything important, Gyeomie. Just eat your burger." Hoseok sighed and rested his elbows on the table, his head in his hands. Taehyung felt a strange burning sensation. He looked all around until he noticed the last person he'd want to be looking straight back at him. Jungkook.

A glare. More threatening than before and that worried Taehyung a great deal. What did it mean? Had he done something wrong? Did Sooyun tell Jungkook something about him that he didn't like? Well, who was he kidding? There wasn't a single thing about Taehyung that Jungkook didn't dislike.

***

"Hey."

He kept walking. A low growl sounded in his ears before Taehyung was painfully forced against a set of old lockers.

"Don't ignore me like I'm some type of insect, you prick!" Jungkook spoke in a low voice. Taehyung was scared, yes, but he couldn't show it. He had to stay strong or his weaknesses would be exploited. Jungkook, especially with him being a supernatural entity, wasn't someone to mess with.

"What if I said I just didn't hear you? Would you believe me?"

"You're kidding, right?"

"Maybe," Tae chuckled wryly to hide his shaking voice. Jungkook stared hard into his eyes, the black orbs turning a shade of glowing red.

"I guess gentle warnings aren't enough for you. What's it gonna take for you to get the message?"

"'Gentle' you say..." Taehyung rolled his eyes away, the grip on his collar getting tighter and his shirt wrinkling.

"I've been wondering for a while now why I kept catching this strange scent in my house. Every time my sister would come home she smelled like..." He took a whiff of Taehyung's fragrance, "...You."

"I haven't snuck inside your house if that's what you're implying."

"Oh, I know. If you had, I would've picked it up instantly. And also...you wouldn't be standing here right now. Or breathing for that matter."

"Yeah, I've heard about you and your...violent tendencies. And I don't think that sister of yours appreciates it very much, do you?"

"I'm just trying to protect her and keep her happy."

"So am I."

The younger's face hardened, the red glow deepening. "Who are you to Sooyun? Why is she always carrying around your smell?" Taehyung shrugged.