Chapter 17 - Cornered

"Oppa, are you sure you're alright?"

"For the last time, I'm fine Kyung Mi. It was just a little school fight. You're the one I'm concerned about. You just went through a traumatic experience last night. You should've stayed home like I told you," Taehyung scolded her as they walked to school.

"It probably wouldn't have been as traumatic if you had told me vampires exist," she pointed out. Taehyung rolled his eyes.

"Well, excuse me for wanting to keep you safe and out trouble. You're the one coming home late at night from a marathon with the supernaturals."

"It's not my fault that I'm the only one of our family that you like, though. Plus, you have another reason for not telling me, don't you? It's to protect Sooyun Sunbae, right?"

Taehyung furrowed his brows. "How do you know about Sooyun?"

"You just told me."

"What-" He narrowed his eyes as he pieced together what just happened. "Ah-Hey! Where'd you learn to be like that?"

She shrugged.

"But...does that mean Sunbae is a vampire then?"

"Yes. Don't tell anyone or we're both in trouble," he sighed. Kyung Mi scoffed, "You think so low of me. I'll keep the secret."

***

Jungkook was waiting for Sooyun to walk to school. She was taking a while and Jungkook was getting a bit impatient. He was about to go to her room when she stepped out.

"What were you doing in there?"

"What? Ah, nothing. I was just...moving slower than usual." She slung her bag over her shoulder and approached the door. Jungkook placed a hand on her shoulder to hold her back when she was going to step outside.

"I've smelled rogues near the city. I haven't seen them, but the Park family crest was painted on a few buildings. I don't want you going into the city area without me, okay?"

She scoffed, "You don't want me going anywhere without you." Jungkook put more force in his voice. "I'm being serious, Sooyun."

"So am I. I mean, besides going to the bathroom, sleeping, and going to class, you never leave me alone."

"Because it's not safe. You need to have someone with you."

"Who says I can't help myself?! I don't need to be protected! I'm not some helpless damsel for you rescue! I might not particularly like what I am, but that doesn't mean I can't use it to my advantage."

Jungkook exhaled to calm his nerves. She didn't get it.

"You seem to forget that you're the one they want. You know what they're capable of. If you seriously think you can handle all of that by yourself, then you must've suffered some brain damage while I was gone."

"Wow. Wow, Jungkook. You're right. I know only a fraction of what the Park blood is capable of, but the same goes for you. Even if you were there, that wouldn't be enough to protect the both of us. It would just be another life lost."

"...I-"

"We'll be late for school." She walked out of the house without him. Jungkook sighed heavily and rubbed his face in annoyance.

***

"Yoongi Hyung...why are you telling me all of this?"

Taehyung stood outside the back of the school with a physically and emotionally fatigued Min Yoongi.