Glenn- Four

"You know," Nate said to Glenn, his voice even somehow, despite the fact that they had been exercising for the past two and a half hours, "It's kind of boring, you know. Playing Jean and Lawson in a doubles match every day. Why can't we do drills or anything?" Nathan tilted his head back and squeezed his water bottle. Glenn watched, almost transfixed as the glorolessly tan and sweaty boy drank, his throat moving as he swallowed.

"I- uh," Glenn blinked and looked away as he tried to think of the question he had just been asked. "We can't do drills because Renly has yet to show up and Green wants to work with the younger kids. It makes sense, really, when you think about it. Last year we didn't do well as a team since our only strong positions were one doubles and one and two singles. Even though you and I won all of our matches, we still lost as a team. I don't think he's really concerned about us this year, especially since most of our competitors from last year graduated so we'll be playing weaker players".

Nathan was just looking at him, his blue eyes so electric that Glenn could see them past the dark shades of his sunglasses. "So what? We're just going to keep playing these losers-"

"Shut up, Daily," Lawson interrupted, only to be waved off by a seemingly unphased Nathan.

"Every day until our sorry excuse for a head coach decides to come?" Nate asked and Glenn shrugged.

"I suppose so".

"Then how are we going to get any better, Pearson?" Nate asked and Genn didn't have an answer, so he chewed his lip. "This is absolute bull shit. It isn't even fun winning any more when it's against them. Jean sucks at doubles and Lawson sucks in general". This was not true at all, Glenn acknowledged. Lawson was far better than himself, and even better than Nathan. His skill level was only comparable to Jean on the team, but Glenn had realized Lawson's fuse was incredibly short when it came to the pair of best friends, and they often insulted his tennis playing to set him off.

"Shut up Nathan-"

Nate turned quickly then, his eyes narrowing behind his glasses to glare at the other boy. "You can't deny that you suck, Lawson. You absolutely-"

"At least I don't suck dick," was Lawson's extremely lame comeback. Glenn looked at the other boy for a moment before allowing his eyes to slide back to Nathan, who didn't seem at all offended by this statement. Actually, he looked quite amused with his eyebrows raised and lips curled up into a somewhat smug smile.

"I didn't hear you complaining".

"Alright," Glenn said, having heard enough. He turned away, trying to ignore that squeeze in his stomach he got everytime he thought of Nathan being with someone else. It shouldn't have bothered him, shouldn't have made him jealous, but it did, every single time, and Glenn hated it. "Let's just continue-" He cut off suddenly as his eyes moved up to peer beyond the fence.

Dark eyes, almost black stared back at him. Black hair was pushed off a pale forehead and pink lips were assaulted by perfect teeth. Fuck Nico. A hand raised to slowly wave at Glenn, and the perfect mouth of his ex-boyfriend curled up into a smile. "How long has he been there?" Glenn asked, turning his face to Nathan, who was standing directly beside him now, staring ahead and Nico with a scowl.

"About ten minutes, or at least that's when I noticed him. I swear, every year he just stands around to watch me play and then tells me that I suck," Nathan groaned and Glenn's eyebrows raised in surprise at Nathan's words. Clearly, Nathan was not in the loop concerning Glenn and Nico's past, though this really wasn't startling since very few people knew about their past relationship. It had been three years ago, and they attended different high schools. The only people who had known they were dating were their friends, their families, and the occasional classmate who caught them kissing somewhere they shouldn't have been around town. Nathan caught Glenn's gaze then. "What?"