Nathan- Sixteen

A/N it gets worse before it gets better, so please bear with me through this

Nathan had just finished tying his white tie when the doorbell rang. Immediately, Carmen and Osmond both leaned into his bedroom and looked at him expectantly. "Who is that?" Carmen asked, and there was an excited glint in his eye. "Your date?"

"You look very handsome," Osmond claimed, and Nathan's eyebrows raised. "Are you trying to impress anyone?"

"Can you guys just stop for a little bit?" Nathan demanded, moving to leave his room, but they were still blocking his way. "I need to get the door-" Nathan was interrupted by the ringing of the door bell in rapid succession, and slowly Carmen's smile fell.

"Oh," he said, turning to look at his husband. "It's just Jean".

"I'm going to tell him that you said that," Nathan threatened, pushing himself between his parents to get out of his room. They followed him to the living room, taking a seat in the couch as Nate opened the door.

The second the door opened, Jean stopped ringing the doorbell and grinned. "Hot damn". Nathan could have kept his fist from shooting out and punching his friend in the stomach if he had tried.

"Shut your face," Nathan demanded, shutting the door once Jean was in the house.

"Hello Jean," Carmen greeted, turning to look over the back of the couch at his son's friend. "Excited for tonight".

"Oh, shit yeah," Jean confirmed, and Nathan shot him a look as Carmen's eyes rolled. "Sorry. But yeah, I am excited. I almost couldn't go, but I convinced my dad that I deserved it".

Jean toed off his shoes before going to join Osmond and Carmen on the couch, and Nate slowly followed after him. "Why wouldn't your dad want you to go?"

"You know, the usual". Jean sat on the couch next to Carmen, forcing Nathan to sit in the lone chair. "He feels the need to control my life," Jean laughed easily. "I wouldn't be surprised if he killed me if I don't win state this year".

The comment came out light and joking, causing Carmen to smile a little, but Nathan's eyes widened. His parents had no idea that the situation with Jean's father was as serious as it was.

"Don't think about that now," Carmen urged. "You guys just need to relax and have fun tonight. Everything has been about tennis for the last month. Take a break". Nathan nodded eagerly at his father, and Jean made a soft noise of amusement as he withdrew his phone from his pocket.

"It'll be nice, going out and doing something other than practicing for a change," Jean claimed, scrolling through something on his cellphone.

"You haven't been going out much?" Osmond asked, sliding his arm sound his husbands shoulders as Jean scoffed.

"I don't know if you've noticed, but your son has been a little too preoccupied to hang out with me," Jean accused, and Nathan rolled his eyes. "It's not a big deal, I've gone my own stuff to worry about actually". Nathan was prepared to ask Jean what exactly he was talking about- since Jean's other friends were all lazy dicks who never wanted to do anything- but his best friend let out an appreciative exclamation of "holy fuck," as he continued to stare at his cellphone. His finger stopped scrolling.

"Language," Osmond scolded absently, more so because he had to than because he actually cared. The older man then leaned over Carmen's lap to see what Jean was looking at on his phone. To make it easier, Jean turned the screen towards him a little. Nate watched with interest as Osmond's eyebrows shot up in surprise.

"Let me see," Carmen demanded, reaching down and grabbing Jean's wrist, turning it so the screen was tilted up towards him. "Is that... Glenn?" Carmen pulled Jean's phone up to his face, still holding the boys wrist.