Chapter 3:

Disclaimer: I do not own Star Wars or any of the amazing characters!

Chapter 3:

As it turned out the planet Olara wasn't half bad. It was a medium sized planet covered in lush greenery, tropical fruit, and strange animals that neither Rey nor Finn had ever seen. It was hot and beyond humid so that it was like walking and trying to breathe underwater.

For Rey it wasn't so bad. She was used to extreme heat, though this new type of heat was definitely something she would have to get used to. For the thousandth time she wiped sweat out of her eyes as they moved through the dense jungle. She wished a breeze would blow through the leafy plants to provide some relief but had pretty much given up on it happening after 5 hours of walking.

She heard a thud and turned to find Finn sitting heavily on the ground. Sweat beaded on his chocolate skin and his shirt was almost soaked through. Rey eyed him warily. He'd been the one who had volunteered the two of them and yet he'd complained the whole time, constantly wanted to stop and take a water break and would suddenly just stop and sit on the ground like he was doing now.

Rey dimly wondered if this would have been faster with just her and BB-8. After all the little round droid was having no issues with the heat and was helping to map their progress not only so that they could get back to the ship but so that they would know a safe route back to the base once they retrieved the others.

"If you would keep moving we could make it there before it gets dark," she called back. "Heat stroke and exhaustion will kill you, you know," he said leaning back on a log. "So will some of the creatures in this jungle if we stay stationary too long." "Well can't you like use the force to make sure nothing too big and carnivorous comes our way?"

Rey frowned back at him. She could but she'd been avoiding using the force for fear that Kylo Ren would appear at this inopportune time. Of course, she couldn't tell Finn that.

"Or we could keep moving. It wouldn't have taken us 5 hours to make it this far if you hadn't needed to stop every 300 meters," Rey said. "I am sorry that I am not used to these insane temperatures," he grumbled back. "So, what did you do when the order sent you to such planets as this," Rey asked. "Our uniforms and helmets were temperature controlled. I didn't experience real heat for the first time until I was on Jakku," Finn replied, taking long strides to catch up to her and the droid. "What about before the order?" "I don't remember. My earliest memories are of being a part of the younglings training to become whatever the First Order required of us."

Rey was shocked. She knew Stormtroopers were snatched from their families' young she just didn't know how young. The three of them were silent for a few moments as they moved through the jungle.

Thoughts and emotions fought for dominance at the front of her brain. Sadness, anger, sympathy dueled with wanting to go back and kill Snoke herself instead of letting Kylo do it, wondering if Finn's parents ever thought about their little boy and knowing what it's like to have nothing and no one.

"Sorry to hear that, Finn," Rey said. "Don't be. My parents willingly gave me up for whatever credits the Order was paying for future Stormtroopers at the time. I can't imagine a life other than this," he said. "I suppose if you would have stayed with your family we never would have met the same way if my parents had never abandoned me we would have never met," Rey said with a sad smile.

Her, Finn and Kylo were three peas in a pod. Rey wondered if their parents knew what path they were sending their kids on. Rey could have asked General Leia but that seemed way too personal and Rey didn't feel that she had the right to question what Leia had thought was the best for her child, even if he did become the Supreme Leader of the First Order because of it.