Chapter 4:

Disclaimer: I do not own Star Wars or any of the amazing characters!

Chapter 4:

6 weeks later

Rey had begun to suspect that the force was accepting her change of heart when it came to saving Ben Solo. She could no longer think of him that way. The light that was in him before was barely even a spark anymore. He wasn't Ben Solo; she'd been a fool to think that he was. Kylo Ren was the real deal and Ben Solo had been the mask he'd been forced to don before Snoke came along and gave him the opportunity to be himself.

Rey tore her eyes away from the Holo projector as it showed Hux and his men slaughtering a group of wanna be rebels on a distant planet called Bleon 265. They landed on Leia, whose eyes were locked on the projection as if her life depended on it. Finn and Poe like Rey couldn't stand to see this again. It had been going on now for 2 months. Each time the screen came on to show Hux and his soldiers they were slaughtering innocents. More than half the number were barely out of childhood, though Hux didn't care about that. Kylo Ren didn't care about that.

Rey stormed out of the war room with no real place to go in mind. She just needed to be anywhere other than that room with those disturbing blue images playing over and over. She wanted to cry out to the Gods that this was all so unfair but knew from experience that cursing the Gods never did anything. The Gods didn't care obviously.

Before Rey knew it, she was outside walking toward the grove of fruit trees that led to the hut she had built as her own private sleeping quarters. It had taken very little time to construct thanks to the force and no one seemed to bother her when she was out this far. She'd made sure the hut was still inside of the force field but at the very edge with a small hot spring right behind it.

Only once she was inside the hut that she had modeled after the one she stayed in on Ahch-To did she truly allow herself to feel anything. First sadness and despair nearly choked her. She'd managed to bottle it all up but after the 16th execution she just couldn't any more. So many lives lost at the hands of that madman Hux. Anger and hatred burned brightly over her skin. Hux's death wouldn't end the madness but it would certainly put a damper on the First Order's plans.

Jedi weren't supposed to hate or want to kill but Hux was a monster of epic proportions and he needed to be stopped. For a moment, she let the idea of hoping in the Falcon and searching for Hux with the sole intent of killing him roll around in her mind. Then she shook her head. The thought made her feel icky, like she'd bathed in tar. Rey wondered if that was what it felt like to fall to the dark side; suffocated by the overwhelming darkness. If so she didn't see how Sith lords and dark Jedi lived so long. A creature like Snoke had to have been drowning in the darkness.

Was that what it was like for Kylo Ren? He might not have had the yellow, red rimmed irises of a Sith lord, but he was definitely a dark Jedi. Did he feel like the darkness was attached to his skin, clogging his pores, steeping his whole essence in that evil? It seemed that he should. That being so dark would make one feel dirty, but Rey figured after so long you just get used to it.

"Monsters get used to it," she reminded herself.

She couldn't believe she'd actually thought that he could be saved, that she could save him. She'd been a fool to think that Kylo Ren could ever be Ben Solo again. She'd offered him a chance to regain so much and all he'd done was spit in her face. The blood of hundreds of civilians was now on his hands.

She was very glad that she hadn't revealed the stupid force bond to Leia. What she would have thought of her once Hux started this madness? Would Leia and the others have assumed that she was working with Kylo Ren? Maybe, maybe not but Rey knew there was no way she could tell the others that she's been connected to him this whole time. They'd think she was the reason Ren and the First Order seemed to be growing ever nearer.