( 1 ) intro

hoseok's pov -

i remember the exact day that my dad left.

i was about 7 years old, coming home from school to hear my parents arguing. i don't remember exactly what it was but i thought they were arguing about money like usual. my father had stable income but my mom had reasons that kept her from getting a job.

but this time it was a little different, the tension was thick, suffocating the air. when my father saw me coming in through the doorway, he ceased his shouting.

he stared at me with the strongest look of hatred and i could tell in that moment that the argument was somehow my fault.

he stormed past me grabbing his keys off the kitchen counter and walked to the door, pausing with his hand held on the doorknob.

i remember my mom crying, begging him on her knees to stay, to forgive her. but for whatever the reason was, he left anyways without saying goodbye.

the door slammed shut hard, making the frail brittle walls of our apartment shake, leaving behind an almost empty silence, with the sobs of my mother filling the air.

i don't remember what happened after that but i remember that it was painful. incredibly painful.

i was still a kid and i didn't yet understand the fate of our future after my father had left us but i somehow knew that after that day, things would never be the same again.

but that was 17 years ago. i'm 24 now.

my mother was never quite sane after that, falling into a deep depression that never ended, resulting in what she thought was her best escape.

my father on the other hand— he was never to be heard or seen from again. every christmas, birthday, thanksgiving, etc, was spent alone without him, wallowing and mourning his disappearance.

my uncle ( my father's brother ) always took care of me though. he was around for most of my life, providing money and food for us to survive.

my mother despised the sight of him even though he was the sole reason why we were still holding onto our lives.

because he was a criminal.

a great whole hearted guy... but he did bad things. he mostly stole and robbed places, to secretly provide extra money for us.

i learned everything i knew from him— opening locks, pick pocketing, hot wiring cars; you name a petty theft and i've probably learned how to do it from him.

i'll always be grateful for his continuous efforts to support us despite my mother always forcing him to leave.

but in a way i'll always despise him.

he was the father that i never had and i'd always suspected that he was my real father, and that was the reason why my mother always pushed him away.

a year ago, he was finally arrested and put into jail for his life of petty crimes. i visited him in jail and decided to finally confirm my suspicions of him being my real father.

he told me that my mom never loved him and moved on to his brother ( my father ) not long after and she fell deeply in love with him.

unfortunately she was pregnant with me before she started dating my 'dad' and although she knew i wasn't my father's child, she kept me.

he found out about me not being his child somehow and that was when he disappeared and my real father ( my uncle ) came back in to my life.

he told me that the reason why he stuck around even though my mom hated him was because he had always loved her even if she didn't love him back. he also knew that i was his son and wanted to raise and protect me since my 'dad' had ran off.