Chapter 8: With Friends Like These

(F/N) POV

We sat at a long stone table, Salem was seated at the head, Tyrain, a scorpion faunus who didn't seem stable, sat to her left. Across from him was Hazel and next to him was me, there was an empty seat across from me, but to my right was Watts, a noble looking man, and lastly across from him was Cinder, she had long black hair and no sign of any faunus trait. The way she looked at me said she didn't like me, but she refused to say any words, likely because of the aura Salem gives off, one you do not disobey. I didn't say a word myself and just listened, not once was I spoken to, it actually became uncomfortable, then she said something that caught my ear.

Salem: "Cinder, you'll continue your work in Vale with Roman, however prepare your two underlings for entering Beacon."

(F/N): "Beacon?" The pale woman looked at me, Tyrian snickered under his breath.

Salem: "Is there a problem?"

(F/N): "No I just... sorry."

Salem: "If you have something to say. Speak."

(F/N): "Before I went to Haven I attended Beacon."

Watts: "And that has what to do with what we're talking about?"

(F/N): "If her underlings need someone to prepare them or go with, why not me?"

Salem: "It'll be considered." She looks at the others. "You have reported and been informed on what to do next, you're all dismissed." We all go to stand. "Except you Light, I would like a word with you." I sit back down while the others leave, once they've left she stands up and goes over to a window. "Tell me what happened."

(F/N): "At Beacon?"

Salem: "The village."

(F/N): "There's nothing to say."

Salem: "Are you refusing to talk?" My body tenses up.

(F/N): "No, all that happened was death... so there's nothing to say."

Salem: "It would be wise of you to speak freely while you can." I try to force the words out of me.

(F/N): "Villagers... bandits... my team." I said the last word with a venomous sadness. "Raven Branwen though... she should have died there."

Salem: "It must have been painful, seeing the slaughter and blood of those closest to you. To watch as everything you know dies around you, to watch your world-"

(F/N): "Shut it!" I slam a fist on the table and in that same moment I went stiff, that was a mistake, I felt a cold hand grab the back of my neck.

Salem: "I believe you said something, was it a wish for death?" In that moment I felt something run down my face.

(F/N): "Yes... please kill me." She grip weakened. "I failed them..." My version blurred. "Even if I kill Raven... it won't bring them back." I look to her standing beside me. "I don't know what to do." She removed her hand.

Salem: "What do you want other then death?"

(F/N): "I don't know... I spent so many years working on the Cell... I just don't know."

Salem: "You committed your life to one path but now that you've reached its end you can't see the others. Stand up." I do as she says, she walks me over to the window. "What do you see out there?"

(F/N): "Grimm... barrenness... death."

Salem: "I see a part of life, a cycle if you will, a force that keeps the world moving."

(F/N): "What do you mean?"

Salem: "People choose a path to follow, unaware that they are on a larger road they simply cannot see. You have reached the end of one path, you simply need to step off it to see the others, to see what's truly ahead."