Chapter 21: Actions Speak

(F/N) POV

Magic appears to be more powerful than I thought, to have brought the girl back after she killed herself, one could have called it a miracle. Once we were near Atlas Academy I jumped off and unsummoned the dragon Grimm, with my hood up I began to walk the rest of the way. The cold wind felt odd, it was as though I hadn't noticed it last time I was here. Wandering the halls, looking for the entrance to the vault, I found myself retracing the steps of Flynt and Neon, it reminded me of Haven, back when Auburn showed us the way to the academy, I even thought I saw her turn a corner. It was in that moment it sunk in, like Flynt and Neon, Auburn wanted to show us around, I had thought of her as someone used to being on their own, someone who at first gave off the feeling that they didn't want anything to do with anyone.

But I guess that was wrong, she showed us around like Flynt and Neon did, maybe not as excited and talkative as Neon, but still, she wanted to be friendly in her own way. I eventually just stopped for a moment and looked out at the falling snow, I started to recall when I was little, when I first played in the snowfall, my sister and I would spend the whole day outside, and when it was time to go in we'd wrap ourselves in large fluffy blankets. Dad would get home, we'd eat, me and sis would argue who built the biggest snowman, it was those happy thoughts that made my heart start sinking. It wasn't sorrow, but instead a guilt, it was all the deaths on my hands weighing down like they never did before.

(F/N): "God..." I could partly see my reflection on the glass. "What was I turning into?"

Guy: "Hey, something wrong?" I turn around, he was slightly on the muscular side, the girl next to him was skinny, her appearance gave off the feeling of wanting to smash something.

Girl: "Yo, Remnant to the stranger."

(F/N): "Sorry, I'm just a bit... dazed and confused. I was uh, going around the places Flynt and Neon showed me, ended up getting lost." Please just buy that and leave me alone.

Girl: "You know our teammates?"

(F/N): "Wait." I point to the guy than the girl as I speak. "Kale and Ivory?"

Kale: "Yup."

(F/N): "Huh, small academy, oh you enjoying the console?"

Ivory: "The what?"

(F/N): "Nothing."

Kale: "Right... so you looking for them or something?" This may be my last chance to talk with them civilly.

(F/N): "Uh, yeah, are you going to see them?"

Ivory: "After hearing that they have something for me? Yes."

I followed them through the halls to the dorms, still wearing my hood so that they couldn't get a good look at my face. Ivory probed me about the gift she was getting, I didn't know why she hadn't gotten it already, so I tried to change the topic and asked about what had been going on around Atlas. Kale brought up Bergwerk, the news claimed it was subterranean Grimm that came from the mines, it's not like they could tell people about what really happened. Approaching the door to their room I felt tense, nervous, things I hadn't truly felt for some time now, being the last one in I shut the door and lowered my hood as I turn to see Flynt and Neon.

(F/N): "Hey."

Flynt: "Hey." The moment was quiet, Kale and Ivory didn't seem to understand the situation, especially after I got on my knees and lowered my head.

(F/N): "I'm sorry. I should have trusted you and-"

Flynt: "You don't need to apologize." I raise my head. "Me and Neon talked, I get it, it's hard to trust people sometimes."