Ch. 20 Fighting Again?

•••Oliver's POV•••

"Do you really have to leave?" I ask, watching as Iris puts on a jacket. "Oliver, I won't be gone for the whole day. Kayla wants to hang out for a bit and this is your father that's here. I don't want to ruin your day together." She replies, walking over to the door.

I quickly run over, moving past Iris and to the front door, leaning back on it. "You're leaving me for like five hours." I say, crossing my arms. She tries forcefully pushing me out of the way but it doesn't work.

"Oliver, please." She begs, giving me her adorable puppy dog eyes. "No. Stop that." I narrow my eyes. She leans closer to me. "Please." She pleads again. I feel my heart beat faster. "..alright, fine." I give in, causing her to back away and smile.

"Thank you Oliver, I'll try not to be too long." She says as I push myself off the door. I sigh softly, "It's fine. Take your time. I don't want to interrupt you two."

She smiles and leans in for a hug which I allow. "You'll be fine, Oliver. Your dad is nice, please be nice to him too." She whispers in my ear. "I'll try. Be careful, okay?" I whisper back. She nods and pulls away, waving before leaving.

I watch her from the window as she gets into Kayla's car and they drive off. I smile, resting my forehead on the glass as I watch the car disappear further down the road.

"Ah I see, you like her."

I jump. "What?! No!" I shout and turn around to face the voice. It's my dad. "How long have you been standing there?" I ask him, leaning on the wall by the window to play it off cool.

"Long enough to know how you feel about Iris, that's for sure." He chuckles, "Does she like you back?" He asks, walking into the living room further. "I don't th- hey! It's none of your business anyway." I glare at him, crossing my arms.

He raises his hands in surrender. "I'm just trying to find something to talk about with my son." He admits. "Keep my love life out of our conversation topics." I narrow my eyes at him. His eyes flickered up at me when I said 'love life' and he grins. "Alright fine, but if you need advice, I know my way with the ladies." He chuckles.

"I'm sure you do." I swallow hard. He's silent for a moment, realizing what his mistake was. "I'm sorry, that didn't come out the way I intended it to." He apologizes. I scoff and shake my head, beginning to walk away.

"Oliver." He calls my name. I don't face him. "Oliver please! It's been almost six or seven years, why don't you forgive me yet? Why haven't you let it go? It can't be that important." He asks, raising his voice. I turn around, already halfway up the stairs. "You really don't remember? Tch, you know what? I don't have to explain myself to you." I retort, raising my voice also.

"What's going on in here?" My mom asks, walking in from the kitchen. "Nothing important apparently." I reply, staring at my dad.

"Oliver-" I turn around and walk upstairs towards my room with my mom calling my name.

Ruby steps out of my mom's room, rubbing her eyes and yawning. She's still sleeping? It's like twelve in the afternoon? "Bro-bro? What's going on?" She asks, still tired. "Don't worry Ruby, it's nothing. Just a small argument." I say, smiling down at her.

"Mommy and daddy are fighting again?"

My smile falls as I hear her say those words, as I recall the yelling I heard those years ago. I didn't realize I was still in a trance until Ruby snaps me out of it. "Bro-bro?" She calls. "Huh? Oh..um, no I just had a disagreement with Richard and mom stepped in." I explain, forcing a sympathetic smile. I didn't know if it was for her or for me.

"Why do you call daddy by his name? Is it because he doesn't live here anymore? And because he loves someone else now?" Hearing her ask this almost brings me to tears..wow, I just thought that. "Does that mean I have to call him Richard too?" She asks. "Ruby, you call him whatever you want, okay?" I say.

She smiles then looks around. "Where's your girlfriend?" She asks.

I raise an eyebrow, "Who?" I ask.

"Your girlfriend. Iris."

"Pfft, w-what are you talking about? We're not- she's not- heh.." I laugh nervously. "Oh please, you're a terrible liar. We all know you like her, you can tell by the look in your eye when you see her. It's the same way daddy looked at mommy in their wedding pictures." Ruby explains simply.

"...how old are you again?" I ask, staring at her in disbelief. I think television has corrupted these children.. She scoffs, "Rude." She walks back into my mom's room. Little girls know more than you think...noted.

I think for a moment and walk into Iris' room towards her window. "I guess I'm on my own for a bit.." I mutter, sighing softly as I lift open the window.

Climbing up to the roof has always been easy for me, I've been doing it for years. It used to be my dad's and my spot..then just my spot, then Iris came and it's our spot now. I smile at the thought of her.

"So you still come up here, huh?"

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

ShOoT mE pLeaSe

I didn't get the chapter out this morning like I said. I actually woke up at 5am(after going to bed at 12) and drove somewhere to get my hair done...I got back home at 11am.

Yes, you're left on a cliffhanger and I'm sorry. But it's not hard to figure out who joined Oliver on the roof. I'm so sorry for this not being long as I wanted it to, the next chapter will be and I'm hoping- no, praying- that it will be out by Friday.

Hero Alliance is still being updated regularly though so if you haven't read that...maybe check it out if you're interested? If not, okay then, what can I do? 🤷‍♀️

Thanks for waiting! And if you enjoyed this chapter(which you probably didn't but it's okay) please like, comment, and leave feedback! Thanks! Bye bye!

~FT💖