Chapter 20

Previously in Ch. 19:

"Okay well, I have nightmares at times. It has me in it when I was younger and always, always there's another boy with me, but his face is blurry and I don't know his name. The nightmares always portray me being injured while the boy is calling out to me. I thought, maybe that's you, maybe these are flashbacks. At the same time, they could just be bad dreams."

"And if they're not?"

"Then I need the truth."

"I'll give you the truth if you'll just listen..." Sasuke replied.

"How do I know they're not lies?" I questioned.

"How can I lie to you when your whole life was basically a lie? I've been lied to countless times, so there's no reason for me to lie." He responded.

"Alright, I'll listen."

"Okay." 

Sasuke's POV

"First, I just want to know how much you remember on the day of the incident." I said. 

"Well there's not much, I remember we were being chased and ended up in a dark alley somewhere. The guy had a knife, but somehow it ended up in your hands. I'm pretty sure you stabbed me, though I don't know why you would do that. After that I passed out and woke up in a hospital. They said I had a major concussion and it would be a miracle if I remembered anything. It was a miracle in itself that I survived." He said with a faraway look in his eyes. 

"So your mom never mentioned me?" I asked.

"I think she brought your name up once, but I didn't know who's name it belonged to so I never thought about it again." He shrugged while looking directly at me. 

"I see..." I sighed. "Well, everyone's told me that you died from blood loss. Foolishly, I believed them. I didn't realize it until recently that it was a lie." I explained. 

"Even your mom said that I died?" He raised an eyebrow.

"Your grandma told me you died too, but I think she forgot that she told me that because she didn't look so worried when I showed up on her doorstep with you living in there." I sighed again.

"That's quite strange in itself, but that still doesn't explain the fact that you stabbed me ya know." He glared. 

"I know it doesn't, but there has to be an explanation. A logical explanation. I remember our good times together. I remember we were practically brothers. I remember all our promises together. How could I try to kill you?!" 

"I don't know. Maybe you had some personal grudge deep within you that you weren't conscious of and then a chance opened up to get rid of me and you tried." 

"What kind of half-assed explanation is that? That makes no sense at all." I gave him a weird look. 

"I said I don't know. We're wasting time right now and we're getting absolutely nowhere with this. Both of us can't remember anything clearly on that day and sitting here arguing definitely won't help!" He threw his hands up in the air in frustration.  

"Well, what is your suggestion then genius?!" I yelled. 

"I. Don't. Know! You're the one that approached me first about wanting to know what I remember. Someone would think that you have a genius plan in that big head of yours." He scoffed. 

"Big head...?" My eyebrow twitched at that comment. 

   I got up and smacked the side of his head causing him to fall out of the chair. 

"What the hell was that for??" He yelled. 

"Tch. You deserved it." I turned my back on him. 

"Heh. You want to play it that way then I'll play it along with you." He said. 

"Wha-" 

   I turned to see Naruto jumping on me, making both of us fall onto the bed. 

"Get off of me!" I tried pushing him off. 

   His hands started smacking the sides of my head back and forth. I grabbed his hair and tried throwing him off me. 

"Ow ow ow ow ow, let go!!" He whined while grabbing my hair. 

"You let go!!" I yelled. 

"What is going on here!?" I heard my mother yell in the doorway. "You boys are in high school now! Acting like 5 year old girls, grabbing at each other's hair like that, you aren't in elementary anymore. After these years of separation I can't believe you two still play like that!" She huffed. 

   We both looked at each other, our grips not losing strength. Then we bursted into laughter. 

"Sorry, Kaa-san. I don't know why we are acting like this..." I said, while letting go of his hair. 

"I'm sorry. I don't know how we got into this either..." Naruto let go of my hair and scratched the back of his head in embarrassment. 

"It's alright, I'm glad to see Sasuke finally smile. After he lost you Naruto, I haven't seen a smile on his face or heard him laugh." She smiled. 

   All of a sudden the atmosphere in the room grew silent and both of us were reminded of the conversation beforehand. 

"That's right. Ms. Uchiha, why was Sasuke told that I was killed?" Naruto questioned. 

   Her body grew stiff and her face paled. 

"Well..."

A/N: Okay, here's an update as promised. I tried to make it as long as I can. I hope you liked the little fun scene cuz I know you guys are reading through boring chapters right now. I'm leaving you on a cliffhanger on purpose so that I know what to write next time too, (it's not because I hate you guys)! Thanks for being patient with me again, it means a lot to me! Until next time! :)