Chapter 23

*3rd Person P.O.V.*

You walk with Peter and Ned to the cafeteria where you would meet with Michelle. Once you've already sat down and collected your food, Michelle sits next to you and in front of the two boys.

"Hey y/n, and losers." Michelle says taking a seat next to you, and Peter narrows his eyes at her.

"Will you stop calling us that?" Peter asks.

"What? No! I like it." you tease, only to receive a glare from both boys, making you laugh.

"If we're losers, then why do you sit with us?" Ned asks.

"Because I have no friends." Michelle answers.

"Yeah, well, that's the excuse you pull every single time we ask you that." Peter says, and Michelle just shrugs her shoulders.

"So, y/n, how are things back there at San Diego?" Ned asks you.

"They're good, but I was really excited to come live in New York, since it's my favorite city." you say, making something up quickly. You didn't know anything about San Diego, so you were hoping that the subject would change quickly.

"Oh, and how's your morning been so far?" Michelle asks.

"It's been fine." you answer with a smile.

"If by fine you mean almost causing an explosion" Peter says.

"What?!" Ned asks, almost choking on his water.

"Oh come on, don't exaggerate things." you defend yourself. "Let's just say that our chem experiment almost went very wrong." you say, and Peter giggles. After that, your table falls silent, all of you concentrated on eating your food, until you notice a gawking Peter and Ned in front of you who are looking past you. You raise a confused eyebrow before turning around to see what, or should I say who, they're looking at. You see a beautiful girl with black and wavy hair wearing a denim skirt that goes right above her knees. She's on top of a ladder and leaning forward to hang some sort of giant ladder that says "Homecoming". You look back at Peter and Ned who are still staring at the girl, making you feel a pinch of jealousy.

"Who is she?" you ask, but none of them realize you're talking to them, until Michelle throws a french fry at Peter, snapping him out of his thoughts.

"What the hell?" Peter asks, clearly annoyed, and Michelle looks at you indicating for you to repeat your question.

"Who is she?" you ask again, motioning your head towards the girl.

"Oh, that's Liz." Peter answers. Then, you remember. He had told you about his friends before, including Liz.

"In other words, Peter's crush since... what? Fifth grade?" Michelle says while taking a bite from her sandwich. The second she finishes her sentence, your face drops and you swear you could hear your heart break.

"Oh." you say.

"What? She's not my crush." Peter says. You start feeling tears building up in your eyes, but you didn't want to cry in front of them, especially not on your first day of school, so you quickly grab your bag and say with a shaky voice:

"I have to go." and you stand up, leaving them all confused except Peter. He had noticed your reaction, so, soon after you've left, he stands up to leave too.

"I should go too." he says, and follows you.

"What the hell?" Michelle says, after you've both left.

-

You close the door from the janitor's closet and drop your bag on the floor as you lean against the wall. Shortly after, you slide down, bringing your knees to your chest, and you let the tears take over you as you breathe heavily. Thoughts come rushing to your brain, and you start thinking about all the conversations and moments you had with Peter. All that time you thought you were the only one in his heart, but he had been keeping this secret from you. You're a mess of tears until you see the door open slightly, and you quickly wipe your tears away.