ONE | PROLOUGE

MY FEET ached and burned with each step I took, my legs shook under my knees that threatened to buckle in on themselves. How long had I been walking? It felt like ages. I tried to see what streets and houses stood out to me, but nothing. Disheartening tears built up behind my eyes, my breath picking up and turning heavy. My hands shook while the soaked shirt I wore stuck to my back from the rain. My dark hair clung to my cheeks, some of the red stains on my skin washed away as it poured down.

I'd woken up with the scrapes, a searing and hissing pain selfishly dragging me from the unknown darkness that I couldn't remember. Nor could I remember the events that led up to my wake, which only frustrated me more. The slash across my thigh, the cut that ran along the top of my shoulder to the midpoint of my upper arm stung as water seeped into the wounds I couldn't remember earning.

My mind felt like mush. Information scattered but whenever I'd tried to pick up the pieces to mend together, each shard slipped through my fingertips. I couldn't remember where I'd come from. 

Only a street name. And my name. 

Natalie Perez.

a/n: yes, I know, I know, this prologue is much shorter than the original. However, I planned on fixing my grammar mistakes and then republishing this, but something happened and the whole part deleted so I had to start over. :(  I'm sorry, but the other chapters will have grammar issues fixed so the length of each should remain about the same. :)