8*

"If you fall into water, you may still be saved

"If you fall into water, you may still be saved. But if you fall down in literary matters, there is no life left for you." -Donna Jo Napoli
......................................................................................

  ABOUT A WEEK PASSED and Caleb was still missing. During that time, I trained heavily with Hailiee and regained any strength I lost, and a whole lot more. My injures were nothing compared to Joeys broken arm. I had a deep cut throughout my forearm and lower stomach, and a minor concussion that went away quickly. I mastered using a staff and guns. Hailiee wanted me to learn to use katanas. She said I'd be more badass than the past me who'd been to afraid and lazy to try and learn.

   Turns out I'm a natural at those too. A few more flashes of memories occurred. It wasn't anything I didn't already know. Just more of the women who operated the whole ordeal. Strapped in a chair and shown flashing images. The orange liquid with red specks in it being stabbed into my arm countless times.

   The only thing that was different this time, was seeing how close Caleb and I were. Seems as though now Joey and I had grown closer than Caleb and I were. Besides I've only talked with Caleb once, I haven't really been able to do it again let alone see him. He was either avoiding me or just plain busy. I didn't take either of them to heart seeing as I haven't gotten the chance to get to know him and be close with him. Every time we talk about him though, it's as if I wanna cry, scream, and kill whoever took him.

  I poured the cold coffee into the mug with the creamer and and such. The sweet smell of the caffeine filled my senses. I hummed with delight. Right before my lips could touch the brim of the mug, a knock on the door sounded. I sighed with disappointment and walked to the front of the house.

  Thinking it was one of the guys I opened the door and said, "I don't know why you guys-"

   When I opened the door I was met with a filth covered Caleb. I stared in awe at the dirt and blood that covered him head to toe.

   "Caleb.." I spoke softly.

    Immediately, I walked up to him a gently helped him inside of the house. Hailiee was gone getting us some lunch, so I was in a panic not knowing what I should do first. Question him? Or clean him up?  Or let him sleep? I decided to clean him up first, so I calmly guided him to the downstairs bathroom. I sat him down on top of the toilet seat and grabbed a towel. I soaked it in warm water and knelt in front of him.

   "Caleb are you okay?" I asked as I gently rubbed the dirt on his forehead.

   "I.." He took a deep breath, "Yeah. I guess I'm okay."

    "What do you mean you guess?" I stopped rubbing the dirt and sat on my knees.

     He blinked once. Twice. Then answered, "What she's doing to these kids. It's way worse than we initially thought." Caleb looked at me and my heart stung at the expression on his face.