I wont let you take him (part 2)

I opened the door. There were doctors and nurses rushing around, taking tests and murmuring things to one another. Then I saw him. He was lying in the bed in a hospital gown. A mask was on his face and an IV in his arm. Tubes were in his nose. More tears sprang into my eyes as I leaped to his side. I grabbed the hand that didn't have an IV in it. My lips quivered as I looked at him. Dan. My Dan. The Dan I had known for 5 years, the one I had given my love without expecting anything in return. The one who I never wanted to leave. Dan was the one who brought me up when I was down and made me smile in my gloom. I trusted him with everything. Now he lay in a hospital bed.

A doctor with a clipboard came up to me. "Are you Phil Lester?"

I turned to him. "Will he be okay? What happened?!"

The doctor wrote something down then gestured for me to have a seat on the chair by the bed. "At this point it's too early to tell, we're still doing tests and trying to figure out what's wrong with him. He hasn't woken up yet or responded to any of the medication we've given him. We have a mask on for him in case his airway is blocked, and the tubes are feeding him. He is very skinny. Unhealthily skinny."

My heart did a jolt. I was scared. How had I not noticed just how skinny he was? My eyes looked over his small body in the gown. Then another thought popped into my head. They don't know what's wrong with him? I grew angry. I asked expecting answers, and the doctors didn't have any.

"You don't know?! It's your frickin job to know what's wrong with him!" I practically shouted. "My best friend is in danger here,"I pointed to the bed, "and I will not take that lightly!"

The doctor took a step closer and held up his hands, as if calming an animal. "Sir, please calm down or we will have to ask for you to step outside of the room."

I growled and was about to make a snarky reply when I heard Dan mumble something. My eyes shot to his face. "Dan? Dan, can you hear me?!"

No response.

"He's been mumbling for awhile now," the doctor explained, "but he wasn't when we first brought him in so that could be progress."

Tears welled in my eyes. I stared at the floor. "I just- I just want him to be better." I whispered with a chocked up voice.

The doctor gave me a look of understanding. "We'll try everything in our power to make your friend well. Do you want to help him?"

I looked at the doctor and nodded vigorously.

"Then can you answer a few questions I have? That way we may be able to get a better idea of what's wrong with your friend."

I sighed but obliged. I don't think I was very helpful since I was only with Dan for literal seconds before he passed out. But the doctor was kind enough to make me feel like I had been a ton of help. I was told to head home and get some sleep, as it was nearly midnight.

Exhausted, I agreed and now am standing in the doorway of our flat. I shut the door behind me. Looking around, it didn't feel right. It didn't feel like home. It was absent if noise, absent of life. It was absent of Dan. As cliché as it sounds, my true home is where Dan. I didn't care where I was as long as I was with him . My home isn't defined in the flat we share, it's in the people that share it. I could feel tears quickly rise in my eyes. Dan was my home. My home was missing. My home was hurt.

My moth turned upside down into a frown as a sob escaped. I had kept it in while I was with Dan, and even though he couldn't hear me, I wanted to be strong for him. I flung myself onto the couch, utterly exhausted physically, emotionally, and mentally. Everything was tired, yet I couldn't sleep. I didn't want to sleep. Not while knowing Dan was laying in a hospital bed.

I closed my eyes and squeezed them to let the tears fall. There was no one here to laugh at me while I cried. I didn't care how I looked.

I took in a shaky breath and felt myself drift off into a restless sleep.

~~~~~~

I was sat by Dan's side, on my phone. Responding to tweets, checking up on the latest social media news, and so on.

No doctors were in the room, as they said they were called to attend to more urgent matters. It was unusually dark in the room. With that new realization in head, I took a look around the whole room. The room looked old, as if it hadn't been updated in awhile. Everything looked old fashioned.

I was puzzled by this. Weren't there computers and monitors in here before? And where are the doctors? They left 20 minutes ago.

A knock sounded on the door. I sighed with relief. The doctors are back. I opened the door with a smile, but it was wiped away in a blink and replaced with wide, scared eyes. The man in the doorway was no doctor. His face was concealed and hidden in shadows by the black hood he wore, his body formless with the sweeping black gown he wore. The ends of the gown were torn and stained with something I couldn't identify. But the thing that scared me most was not his dark appearance or even the dark vibe he gave off, but what was in his hand. It was a scythe.

My mouth fell open with realization and I backed away slowly. No.. no NO! In the doorway stood the Grim Reaper, his body facing at Dan and I somehow knew that if he has eyes, they are staring at Dan.

The Grim Reaper took a step towards Dan. Fear was replaced by anger and in that anger came bravery. I stepped in front of him and brought both my hands up from my sides so he couldn't get past. I stared, my face unflinching, into the dark shadow under the mask.

A dark chuckle came from the Grim Reaper. "You have done well in protecting your friend. However, let's see if you're able to defend this well when met with me in another dimension."

Confused, I was about to ask what he meant, when suddenly...

~~~~~

I jolted awake, lying on the couch where I had fallen asleep before. I quickly sat up, looking around. Everything was as it should be. I ran a shaky hand through my hair, remembering everything in detail. His mask, weapon, the way he stood unmoving looking at Dan..

Dan.

I was wide awake. I grabbed what I needed and ran out the door, calling for a taxi. My foot bounced on the floor as I sat. "Let's see if  you're able to defend this well in another dimension." That had to mean in real life. The dream world is another dimension, right? So.. does that mean..?

I shook my head. No. I'll defend Dan against him. No matter what it takes.