Parenting isnt all cuddles and smiles

Warnings: NONE

Word count: 1,078
————————————————————————

Dan runs a frustrated hand though his messy curls. On his left hip is a crying baby, in his left hand is a dirty diaper. He takes the diaper into his other hand and throws it away.

"C'mon Winnie, show me what's wrong," Dan pleads. She had been crying for almost half an hour now. Nothing seemed to be what she wanted. Phil couldn't be of any help at the moment, as he was at some small YouTube meet up. They would rotate who went to them, and the other would stay at home with the not even a year old child. Tonight was Dan's turn.

He holds her so she's looking out at the world, bouncing her up and down. This seems to work for a minute, until Dan's arm's get tired and he switches her to a new position. That didn't make her happy. He sighs when her screaming picks up again.

"Are you hungry, cuddle bug?" He muses, sticking a finger in her mouth. She doesn't respond though, and continues to cry. While he was looking in her mouth, a bump on her gums catches his eye. He furrows his brows and reaches into her wide, wailing mouth and runs his finger over it.

With a gasp, he smiles and spins her around against his chest. "Winnie! You're teething! No wonder you're so grumpy!" The spinning and Dan's proud smile quiets her, and even a small hiccup of a giggle comes out. "Soon you're gonna be able to eat all the yummy foods me and your daddy eat," Dan coos. Winnie's red face smiles cutely up at him. "Yeah, and your sh- I mean poop will smell a million times worse!" Dan says in still a happy voice. He could be telling Winnie grave news but she wouldn't care as long as it was with a happy voice and smile.

Her moment of happiness soon dissolves and she's once again crying. Dan holds her against his side and looks for something she could knaw on to sooth her aching gums. As he's looking, he trips over her bouncer sitting on the ground. He runs into the wall but shields Winnie carefully against his chest.

"Oh my word," Dan mutters, annoyed, tempted to kick the bouncer. He rubs the spot on his head that had hit the wall. "Today is just not either of our days, Winnie," he says to his daughter. Winnie didn't seem phased out of her screaming by the slight jostle.

Just as Dan was about to rip his hair out, have a breakdown, and cry all at the same time, he hears the door to their flat open. He knew it could only be his husband, Phil. He exists their bedroom and walks as fast as he can to Phil. He sighs when he sees him, immediately walking over to him and nuzzling his head into his neck.

"Can you take her," he whispers. A tender kiss is planted on his cheek before Winnie is taken from his grasp.

"Hi sweet girl," Phil chirps grinning at Winnie now resting on his shoulder. Winnie's cries die down at the new person. A big smile grows on her face and she sticks a chubby fist in her mouth. "Have you been giving daddy some trouble?" Phil asks, kissing her nose.

"Yes," Dan grumbles against Phil's shoulder. He had his arms wrapped around his husbands waist. Winnie found his question hilarious and squeals loudly at him. Dan smiles at the sound. "She's teething. I found a little bump on her bottom gums."

"Is she really!" Phil exclaims. "Winnie you're growing up!" Dan smiles at his beautiful daughter. She may be difficult sometimes, but Dan loved her more than life itself.

Phil checks the time on his phone. "It's almost time for bedy bye, my bear," Phil says, bumping her on his hip.

"Say that ten times fast," Dan says with a grin. Phil accepts the challenge and gets about two and a half, before he just starts plain old blabbering. Winnie shrieks in delight at her dads funny sounds.

"Your daddy is a goofball," Dan says, squishing her soft chubby cheeks together. They walk together to their room where they had the crib set up. They wanted her to be close so they could hear if she cries. Until she's older at least, and can help herself a bit more.

Dan wraps her up all warm in a blanket before laying her down in the crib. She yawns widely and sucks on her fist. As part of their routine, they (rather badly) sing a song. Tonight it was Truce by twenty one pilots. Not exactly a happy song, but Winnie didn't know what they were saying and only cared if it sounded pretty. Before they finished the song, she was asleep. They leave the room and crack the door behind them.

Dan wastes no time and immediately attacks Phil in a passionate kiss. Phil's arms trail up the back of Dan's shirt and wrap around his bare waist. Dan's hand goes up and ever so gently carcasses Phil's cheek.

"I missed you," Dan murmurs against Phil's lips.

Phil smiles into the kiss. "Hard day?" He asks, pulling away from the kiss breathless.

"Very. Nothing could make her happy," Dan says, wrapping his arms around Phil and cuddling into his chest.

"She's such a cute grump pot," Phil sighs.

"We'll see if you still think that next time, because it's your turn," Dan smirks. Phil smiles and leads him to the couch. He has Dan take his shirt off and lay on his stomach. Phil lightly runs the tips of his fingernails up and down his back. Dan tries to fight the haze of sleep slipping over him. But between Phil's gentle massage and his soft voice simply talking about his day, it was impossible.

Phil smiles fondly down at his sleeping husband. He carefully picks him up and begins carrying him to their bedroom.

"Good grief Dan," he grunts, back arched forward with the load in his arms. "You need to stop working out so much. Too much muscle for me to carry."

He deposits him onto the bed, takes his jeans off, and tucks the blanket around him. After getting into his pjs he snuggles up to his husbands bare chest. He exhales contentedly.

Life wasn't perfect, but he had a beautiful husband and daughter. That seemed pretty close to perfect to him.