Anniversary

Requested by leighisnotfunny
————————————————————————

Dan smiles widely at the man in front of him. Black quiff perfectly stood up, blue eyes sparking with mirth, pale face brightened in a laugh. Dan thinks he's made the right decision, planning to claim him as his own. His absolute best friend, only best friend, and boyfriend, Phil Lester.

Or, hopefully, soon Phil Howell-Lester.

He's vaguely aware that Phil is saying something as he's sat in the Starbucks booth, but Dan isn't really paying attention. He's more focused on the way his eyes light up with his story and his hands gesture around. He loves his high cheekbones and the crinkles beside his eyes.

Dan starts listening just before he finishes his story, enough to actually have something to say.

"-and the lady finally walked away, and I was left just standing there like an idiot, a half eaten muffin clutched in my hand."

Dan bursts out laughing, that single sentence being the most Phil ending ever.

"That's the most ridiculous story I've ever heard," Dan giggles.

"Hey it's not my fault!" Phil says, throwing out his hands and giggling too, "she's the one who wasted food."

Dan shakes his head, smiling down at his hot drink. He stirs it absentmindedly, thinking. Thinking about his and Phil's future together, thinking about how far they've come, thinking about how lucky he got in meeting Phil.

"What are you smiling so widely about?" Phil asks, taking a careful sip of his own drink.

Dan looks up, a small smile still on his lips. He's aware he's probably giving Phil what the viewers call "heart eyes Howell" but he didn't care. Go ahead, show the whole world know he loves Phil!

That was the plan later anyway.

"Just thinking," Dan says, staring across the table into Phil's crystal eyes. They looked particularly bright today, the natural lighting from the window magnifying Phil's already stunning appearance.

"About?" Phil asks, tilting his head to the side slightly. Dan's heart melts ever so slightly.

"The future," Dan says vaguely, taking a small sip of his drink.

"In a good way, or bad?" Phil asks, being the curious cat he is.

Dan smiles. "Good. Definitely good."

Phil giggles, his eyes scrunching up. "You're awful smiley today."

I have good reason to be, soon to be fiancé, Dan thinks to himself. But out loud he just says, "it's our anniversary," and taps Phil's nose.

"Fair enough," Phil says, smiling. They sit in comfortable silence, simply taking in the present. Being there with each other, no where to be, no need to rush. Sometimes the best time with someone was just knowing they were there.

Dan was thinking of his proposal to Phil. He had taken weeks to plan it. Not that it was anything off the hook and huge, but we wanted it to be perfect. He wanted to make sure it was the best way to do it, since it was such a big question. They had already begun their day full of fun with having lunch at Starbucks. The rest of the day would be spent walking around town, going in whatever stores they want and eating whatever they want. It was their refresh day, as they called it. Work was put in the backs of their minds and they focused on each other. These kinds of days don't come often to Dan and Phil. But they had both decided that today was the perfect day to take one, as it was their anniversary.