Chapter 14

Vote/Comment/Share/Follow

         Lisa

The next morning after I get dressed to deal with the female's claims to retribution, I head downstairs where I find Lucious asleep again in his office, with his head down and the pen still positioned in his hand.

Attempting to wake him up just by calling his name didn't work this time. I had to lightly shake him awake. Those dark circles and bags underneath his eyes tell me that he's only getting a very small amount of sleep before he's back up again. I can see in his face that he's tired.

I try to convince him to go upstairs and rest, but the same as yesterday he claims to be fine. But he's not fine, he's exhausted.

I choose not to pester him about getting some rest even though it's clear that he needs to sleep.

I stand here watching him as he starts to gather the papers together on the desk.

Maybe his father's death and his mother's condition are causing him a great deal of stress. This constant anger that he has within him doesn't help at all, then he has his duties to the pack with all this paperwork. I'm sure with all of this going on it's hard for him to sleep.

When I first met him, he had this cheery cockiness to him, but now he has this constant anger and hatred for revenge within him and I know that that anger and hatred for revenge are towards my family.

I want to talk with him about it all. I understand that he's angry, but revenge won't do anything but get more people killed. He says he puts his people first, then he needs to put them first and see that the best thing to do is to let this plan for revenge go because that will only get more people killed.

I want to tell him these things, but every time I tried to talk to him about this, it only angers him, turning everything into an argument.

Although I think about it all, I haven't brought it up again yet. I don't want to add to the stress that he's under with everything that has happened. For now, I'm going to just wait and give his anger and hatred time to subside a bit, hoping then he'll be more willing to at least hear me out.

I let out a small sigh watching Lucious stack the papers. This isn't the way things are supposed to be. When BJ found his mate they were happy. But it's not that way for me.

I am happy that Lucious and I have found each other, but our relationship doesn't have the same happiness that I saw with BJ when he found his mates. Maybe it all will get better over time.

Lucious and I head over to the building where the claims to Retributions takes place. I look into the crowd, seeing a couple of new faces. More of them are claiming their rights to retribution.

I guess Lucious was right about more of them will continue to step forward, but I don't care, I'm just ready for it all to be over with.

Once the fighting starts, I see that some of them are using different tactics, attacking differently from the others, but they're still predictable and when it's all said and done, they're left unable to continue, leaving me to spare their lives.

Every time I spare their life, the look that Lucious gives me doesn't go unnoticed. He thinks I'm weak. Just because I choose to not unnecessarily kill someone that doesn't mean I'm weak.

After fighting five of them, Lucious end their claims to retribution for the day.

I leave the building, heading back to the house with Lucious. "Stop looking at me that way every time I spare one of their lives." I frown, looking over at him as we walk.