Phoebe's POV

Phoebe's POV

I climb the steps of the slide sadly. I glance back at Mommy and Daddy. Daddy is looking at me excitedly so I wave and run up the steps with new found energy. I always wanted my daddy to come back.

As I reach the top I hear the park gate open. I turn and look at the girl who entered. She walks with her head up but her blonde hair blows in her face leaving me unable to see her features. The whole park is staring at her. Not just because of her obvious entrance. Something about her leaves people unable to look away. Her aura is filled with sadness and the scene seems as though it should be in the black and white flickering of an old T.V. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a tear running down her face. She could be described with only one word. Enchanting.

She reaches the swing and sits down. Before she seemed to be unaware of the gazes upon her but now she meets every one of those stares with her own searching eyes. Her head is tilted slightly away from me so I cannot see her face. I look away before her eyes meet mine.

I sit at the top of the slide before pushing myself down. I smile happily as the wind whips my hair and face. I run around to the steps eager to start the whole process again. I slide down for the second time. Then I look up and my eyes meet with a pair of grey one's. The mysterious girl on the swing looks at me. At the same time our eyes widen and recognition flashes across our faces. It's Emma! Gracefully, even with the cast, she runs towards me and I stand there happily waiting for her. She came back, like she always does. She's my big sister: of course she came back! Memories play across my mind. Those memories were only a few days ago but it seems more like months.

The uniform shop. I was so excited, I had always wanted to go to school. I wanted to make friends and get good marks from teachers. I ran across the road, but I didn't see the car.

Emma did. Emma saw it raced towards me. She sprinted in my direction and I realized what was happening. I stared at the car racing towards me, I couldn't move. I was frozen. I heard the screeching of brakes but the car wouldn't stop in time. I closed my eyes.

Then there was a gentle but forceful shove. My eyes sprung open in surprise as I was hurled away from oncoming car. Emma continued running. The car was moving too fast. She stepped onto the pavement. Maybe I was wrong. Maybe it would be okay. Then the car hit her back leg and she was sent spinning across the pavement. Her head connected with the pavement and a dull thud echoed around the street.

She closed her eyes. I thought she would never wake up. It was all my fault. Later Daddy came. I was so happy. But I wondered why he had come now? I dragged mommy to hospital. Daddy didn't want to come. I insisted for Mommy to wait until Emma woke up. She did and I was ecstatic, but her leg was all bandaged up.

We were walking to the car. Mommy pushed me into the car and I cried out. It hurt me when she did that. I saw my sister had fallen over in the puddle. I wanted to help her. But the engine roared and she was lying there. Defeated. I don't understand. Why was she just lying there? Why didn't the car stop, wait for her? I've never seen my sister like this. I don't know why she's like this. I don't understand!

The tears streamed down her face. That's when I knew she'd given up. My strong, willful sister never cried. She stayed strong, she always believed things would get better. She helped me believe it too. But she never cried. When I saw those tears, I cried too.

In the present Emma's arms wrap around me and I burry myself into her. I hug her tightly back. This time I don't ever want to let her go. She has to look after me forever. I don't want Daddy, he's never wanted me. I don't want Mommy, she ignores me. I want my sister. My sisters has always loved and wanted me, she always has time for me and she's never ignored me. I cry into her and she ruffles my curls. I smile, she always does that.

Heavy footsteps come closer and Emma pulls away. Anxiously I try to run back to her but I notice she's pushed me behind her. Something's wrong. I peek from behind her to see Mommy and Daddy come towards us. No! They can't take her away again! She's mine. Snaking my arms around her I pull her to me.

In a soft voice daddy says, "Come here Phoebe."

I want to go to his voice. Not because I love him more than my sister but because I used to wish my daddy would come back. You should be careful what you wish for. I feel my sister tense under me. My eyes widen. I can't believe I was considering it! I hug my sister tighter, I'm sure I must be suffocating her.

Then mommy speaks. "It's okay honey. Everything will be just fine if you come here."

She speaks like that when she wants me to do something. She knows I can't resist. I feel I need to make her love me so I do as she asks. But I remember too clearly my sisters face as mommy pressed the accelerator.

I feel my sister usher me backwards. Then I realized that Daddy is trying to get behind us. I'm proud how easily Emma see's through his tricks. Then I see Mommy look across to Daddy. Then they both start walking away. I don't understand, Why have they given up so easily? Don't they want me? I run forwards. "Wait!" I scream.

They turn towards me. I smile gratefully. They do want me! The other side of my brain is telling me not to do it. I wonder what's wrong. I stand confused for a moment until I realize. It's just a trick to get me to go with them. It nearly worked. I feel disgusted with myself. How could I do that?

My parents come towards me. I'm not upset or confused. I see everything clearly. It's like every day of my life I've been looking through frosted glass and now suddenly the glass has cleared. I don't need my parents. I need my sister. And my sister needs the running away bag. The one she packed if we ever ran away. I lean up a whisper in my sister's ear. "Wait for me outside the window tonight." For once I would help my sister. Not the other way around.

Then I run off to Mommy. Looking back I wave at my sister. She's smiling and I know she's proud of me. I'm completely happy right at this very moment. Daddy sweeps me up in his arms and I laugh on cue as he tickles me.