Mike's POV

Mike's POV

I stare at her mouth agape. I close it quickly before she sees, but I doubt she missed it. I never would have guessed she'd been through so much. Having a father who didn't love you was bad enough. Worse when he made your mother feel the same way. Because I'm under the impression it was his fault.

And she had said hers wasn't as bad as mine. And her mouth was still moving spinning more horrible tales. Except for her she couldn't simply close the book and escape. She had to live it.

Emma continues "It wasn't so bad at first. What was bad was when I found the money. Enough for mothers and Phoebes wants and needs. None though for me. I was just glad he was sending any at all. But mother had never hit Phoebe. When she tried for the first time I jumped in front and we ran away."

I stare at her sadly, how can she still be so strong? As she speaks her voice is impassive only the slight tremble in her voice gives her away. The tremble is so small that if I didn't know her I wouldn't have noticed it.

I stand up and hug her because it looks like she needs one. No one should have to go through what she did. "I'm sorry Emma."

I look down on her tiny figure and for once I see her for a child. Before I obviously knew she was a child but to me she seemed so much older, so much more mature. I just treated her as though I would a friend, well mostly.

She stands in the kitchen sadly remembering. I try to think of ways to cheer her up, but I'm rubbish at this stuff. Well, What do you expect? I'm a guy, of course I'm bad at this. I remember the time I took her skating. I need something like that. Something to take her mind off it.

Just then Layla walks in, a grim look on her face. An idea springs to mind. I lean down to whisper in Emma's ear "Get Phoebe ready." She simply nods and walks up the stairs.

I walk over so Layla and I know I'm blushing slightly. One would think that overtime the nerves would go away, but I'm still afraid as ever that I'm going to mess it up or do something stupid. It's what I tend to do.

I stand in front of her and loop my hands with hers. "What is it?" I ask.

"I went but they can only realese the body to a family member. That means Emma's mom has to go." She say's sadly. "I don't understand why Emma doesn't tell someone!"

I kiss her on the forehead and whisper "She did tell someone. She told us." Well, Layla didn't know all of it, but she knew enough.

Phoebe and Emma come down the stairs and wait for us at the door. I drag everyone into Layla's car and direct her to our destination. It's normally just a field covered with overgrown grass but today it's filled with visitors who have come to the fair. It's filled with rollercosters, stalls and right at the end a ferris wheel.

Phoebe and Emma's eyes widen as they take in the place "I've never been to a fair." Emma admits. Layla doesn't hear, she's already jumped out of the car and is running around the car so she can drag me out.

I turn to Emma an exclaim. "If you haven't been to the fair then you haven't lived!"

Layla opens my door and chirps happily "I love the fair, I haven't been in forever!"

We all follow her through the booth where I pay for the wristbands. Now we have them we can go on any ride we like. Phoebe immediatly asks "Can we go on that?" She points towards the ferris wheel.

"Sure kid." I agree heading through the crowds.

Layla grips my hand tightly "Please don't make me go on the ferris wheel." She begs. I look at her curiously and she admits, embarresed to be doing so , "I'm scared of hieghts okay?" She blushes red and I laugh, pulling her into a hug.