Chapter Thirty-Seven

I look between the two. Mike looks confused and hurt. Layla looks... torn. It really is the only way to describe it.

I notice the increase in Layla's speed. Where ever she is going is pretty important. The tense car journey lasts for another fifteen minutes or so and we pull up at the airport just out of town. Layla rushes into the huge building. She looks overwhelmed. She glances at her watch and it must all be too much for her. She starts to cry.

A few stray tears manage to slide down her face but she wipes them furiously away. "How long?" I ask.

She looks at me gratefully. Probably because I'm not demanding for answers or treating her any differently to normal. "Ten minutes until his plane arrives." Mike tenses and I shoot him a look. Layla would never cheat.  

"Flight number?" I ask. She hands me a slip of paper. I walk over to the screen hanging on the wall. It gives a flight number, departure time and E.T.A or estimated time of arrival. I find the flight and see the plane is arriving at terminal F. "The plane has landed but they'll have to clear customs. We should wait at baggage."

We walk to where we need to go since we arn't so far away. "When did he leave?" I ask. Just to make conversation. I had no idea who the 'he' we are talking about is but never mind.

Layla replies sadly "Just after I met you for the first time." But then she adds in a happier voice "But today he's coming back!"

We wait at the correct place and wait for Layla's mysterious friend. All of a sudden people come rushing from the doors. Its a few moments before Layla spots her friend. She begins to wave and I look to see two people emerging from the crowd. A small boy and an older man. As they come closer I begin to recognise the boy. His fringe is too long and flops in his face. His eyes are similar to Layla's. I've seen him before. The day Layla rescued me from hopelessness this boy was there. Abe his name is.

The boy see's Layla and his eyes light up. He swings his arms around her shoulders and she twirls him around. "How you been doing?"

The boy replies earnestly "I missed you Momma!"

Silence. Then Mike splutters "What is this?" I can hear his teeth are gritted together. He harshly glares at the man who accompanied Abe.

Layla smiles grimly, "Ah!" She make a sound as if she just remembered them. "Shane this is Mike, my boyfriend."

This time it's Shane's turn to grit his teeth. "Hi, Mike." He spits his name as though it's a bad word.

Layla continues the introductions "Mike this is Shane, my ex-husband ." She puts heavy emphasis on the 'ex' to make sure the point gets across. Mike nods with a surprised look on his face. "Hi Shane." He taunts smugly.

I have a feeling this is going to get nasty so I tell Abe and Phoebe to sit on the nearby chairs. Close enough so I can watch them, far enough so they can't hear.

Shane grins easily back, however his happiness is quite clearly false. "So your the new flavour of the month." He lowers his voice. "If you know what I mean." My eyes widen at how he so obviously insulted Layla.

Mike's smugness vanishes and is replaced by a happiness as fake as Shane's. I have to say, Mike hide's it a lot better. "So what flavour were you?" he asks.

Shane's voice becomes icy cold. "I don't like what your implying."

Mikes smiles easily "I don't like what your implying so I guess we're even."

Shane obviously has no answer so he just sneers at Mike and turns to Layla. "Hi honey! I missed you so much baby. Want to ditch Mike and catch up?" His voice as sweet as sugar. He leans over and places a horrible kiss across Layla's mouth. 

He doesn't last two seconds before she brings her hand across his face harshly. Then she smiles sweetly at him "Goodbye honey!"

Mike, Layla and I walk away having nothing more to say to Shane. We collect Phoebe and Abe from the chairs where they sit deep in conversation. Mike and Layla talk as do Abe and Phoebe. I watch happy to follow silently along.

I hear snippets of Layla and Mike's conversation. Layla's worried voice asks timidly "Your not going to leave me because of Abe?"

Mike looks at her in confusion "Why would I leave you just because you have a son?"

Layla laughs "I guess when you put it that way..." She trails off and sighs. "After Shane every guy I ever dated ran as soon as they knew I had a son. I can't say as I blamed them." 

Mike interrupts her "Why does Shane treat you that way?"

Layla stares at him blankly "What way?"

"You know, the suggestive remarks and the way he looks down on you." continues Mike.  

Layla shrugs "He always does it. I never really stop him because he's right."

He stops and swirls her around to face him. "There are so many things wrong with that sentence I hardly know where to begin. Firstly, you seemed to stop him pretty darn good today! Secondly, he's not right! He's a mean pig and you know it!" 

She doubles over laughing "Mean pig? Is that the best you can come up with?" When she finally stops laughing they continue to walk towards the car.

"Little ears remember?" Mike scowls. "And are you insulting my insults?"

Layla bites her lip. "If I am what are you going to do about it?"

Mike smiles evilly at her, a gleam in his eye. Layla takes hint and speedily runs away. "Oh no you don't." Mike mutters under his breath chasing after her. 

I just watch and laugh as they act like three year olds in the middle of the airport.