Chapter Thirty

The question rings out clear and simple. No anger, no passion, no emotion. The questions only purpose is to find out why. Why all of these games. I barely notice Layla slip out with Phoebe in tow. I'm focused on his answer.

I raise my eyebrow. "Come on, why? You picked the perfect time to be speechless. Why would you leave us? Why would you hurt an innocent child? Pretent to care." For the last statement my eyes wonder to my mother.

Because her mind really is unsuspecting. She doesn't suspect that father is just using her. Making her play his twisted game. I guess that’s where Phoebe gets her nativity, because it sure wasn't from her father. I don't really blame my mother for her for her actions. Love makes you blind. And she was in love with my father. Still is. She does insane things but she always had one goal. Unfortunately Phoebe and I were never apart of the plan.

My father is however another matter. I don't understand his intentions. I repeat my question. "Why?"

A moment of silence. "Because I can."

I laugh. Nothings funny here but my cold, empty laugh rings around the room. My father looks confused while I laugh hysterically. Then, as if an invisible switch has been pulled, I abruptly stop laughing.

I take a step forward. "You think it’s okay to hurt people, just because you can? Right now I could do a lot of things. I could hit you, I could cry. I could take three and a half steps backwards and open the draw. I could press the panel at the back and the secret compartment would open. I could take the illegal gun you always keep loaded and shoot you. I can do all that in three seconds. It would take you four to stop me, by then its all too late. Do you still think 'because you can' is an okay reason? But I'm not going to do that because I'm not a heartless, selfish pig. In other words I'm not you!" I turn on my heel and walk out the door.

I hear my mother’s scolding follow me out. However her words are not aimed at me. She tells my father to take out the bullets for safety reasons. Out of all those happenings she picked that to worry about. Sometimes I swear my mother is insane.

Still fuming I slam the car door and flop into the seat. "If only you'd heard that conversation Phoebe." I state.

"Why? Did he say sorry like he said to me? He really is sorry you know!" Phoebe enthuses.

 That right there is why I love my little sister. She has so much faith, so much love. Even for those who don't deserve it. Right now though I wish she could see the truth staring her in the face. "Never mind Phoebe." I'm not going to tell her what an idiot her father is. There are some things you have to work out for yourself and this is one of them.

Layla pulls up on the drive and we walk into the house. Phoebe is the first in the door and she's ambushed by Mike. "You little minx! Where were you? We were all so worried!"

Phoebes bottom lip wobbles slightly. "Worried? But Daddy called you so he wouldn't be worried!"

I sweep in and ruffle Phoebe's curls "Yeah he did, we didn't realise you'd be this late though. Plus who could not be worried about you little bumble bee?"

Phoebes lips curl into a smile "Buzzy Bumble-Bees!" She squirms out of Mikes grasp and into Layla's waiting arms. "Do you like bumble-bees Layla?" She asks and makes buzzing noises. 

Layla shudders "I don't like bee's. They creep up on you and then sting you!" She answers.

Phoebe laughs "No silly! That’s wasps. Wasps are mean, one stung me once, it really hurt!" She looks to Layla with a frown. Layla giggles at her outburst. Then Phoebe wriggles out of Layla's hold on her and hugs me tightly wrapping her legs around my waist. "Hi Emmy!"

"Hi Pheebs." I reply fondly.

Phoebe leans back and puts one hand on her hip. "Don't call me Pheebs!"   

I mirror her pose "Don't call me Emmy!"

"Nope." She pops the 'p' happy to disobey me.

"No huh? No?" I say in a mock serious tone. I begin to tickle Phoebe all over until I'm chasing her around as she tries to evade my clutches.

"Stop!" She squeals.

"Surrender!" I yell.

Mike and Layla whisper exclamations simultaneously "Be quiet! You'll wake the neighbours."

Phoebe and I immediately stop and look sheepish. Then Phoebe points out "The neighbours  moved so now we can be as loud as we want."

I look to see Mikes face but no expression flicks across it. Instead he just jokes "Why do you think they moved out in the first place?" Phoebe points an accusing finger at Layla. "Because Layla and you..." She points her finger at Mike and pause's dramatically, "We're kissy kissing!"

Layla goes tomato red and Mike laughs "Sure, now come on its bedtime."

Now Phoebe is reminded of how tired she slouches against me. I pick her up and she immediately falls asleep. I shake my head, how she does it I have no idea. I carefully lead her upstairs and place her on the bed. Before I can change or move to my own bed I fall asleep next to Phoebe.

That night I peacefully dream about a beautiful meadow with flowers dotted all around. It’s the most beautiful place I have ever seen. Butterflies land on the elegant flowers and bees buzz around. I skip through the lush grass when I hear a voice. It is so quiet I presume I imagined it and carry on. But then I hear it again. The buzzing of the bees intensifies until its sounds more like an alarm clock than bee’s. Wait… That is an alarm clock. I sit straight up in my bed and glance around the room.

The alarms clock buzzes and Phoebe talks in her sleep. It’s seven and time to get up but I had a late night and deserve a lie in, as does everyone else. I turn off the alarm as drift off to butterflies and daisies.