Chapter Thirteen

If Phoebe doesn't come to the window in three seconds I'm going to go up there and drag her down myself. I've been waiting in the freezing cold for the last hour because my sister never specified a time! I guessed around nine, since any later and she would be falling off her feet. I glance at my watch; it's nearing ten and there still no movement from above. I sigh. My teeth are chattering and I'm pretty sure my lips are blue.

This girl will be the death of me. I'm going to catch some terrible disease or virus from standing in the cold for so long. Okay so maybe that's slightly dramatic but I am probably going to catch a cold. I try to peer into the window knowing my efforts will be fruitless. Still, I try.

As for my sister, she still hasn't emerged and her three seconds are up.

I walk over to the garage. The garage is attached to the side of the house and is directly below my sisters bedroom window. I use the fence as leverage and climb onto the garage roof. I silently creep to the window. The curtains are closed but the window is open a crack. I put my nails underneath the lip and pull. I break several nails but I'm not the type of girl who worries about those kind of things. It suddenly occurs to me I'm being stalker like. I shrug it off, technically I live here so I'm not breaking in or anything. I climb into the bedroom.

Phoebe is fast asleep on the bed. Fully dressed. Typical, she fell asleep. I grab the running away bag and sling it over my shoulder. Next I stand next to Phoebe. Now, the best way to wake her up would be? I sigh, there is no best way. I clamp my hand over her mouth and shake her. She tries to scream but my hand prevents much noise from exiting her mouth. "You fell asleep now let's get out of here. "I whisper.

I take her hand and lead her to the window. She grips my hand tighter and I know she's scared. I lean down and mumble in her ear "It's okay. Don't be afraid." Her grip on my hand relaxes but it's only for a moment. I let go of her hand once we reach the window. "I'll go first so I can help you down." I tell her in a quiet voice. Scrambling down I lean against the house. I cup my hands so she has somewhere to place her feet.

She slowly edges down until we're both standing on the garage roof. I give her a thumbs up and she grins happily. I slide down off the garage and this time she follows with no hesitation. She barely needs my help. I slip my hand into hers and we take off running.

Phoebe trusts me completely. She never even asked me where we are going. I didn't really know until a couple of hours ago. All the places ran through my mind. The obvious choice would be to stay at Layla's but I couldn't burden her with that. Especially since I was only supposed to be there for a short while until social services were called. Now I have Phoebe again I'm not going into care. So staying with Layla was ruled out.

Next were relatives. Unfortunately only having a mother halved the amount of possibilities. Since my mother has no siblings and her father has died that leaves grandmother as our only living relative.

A sudden wave of guilt hits me. It's been a while since I've visited my grandmother. I count back the days. Today and yesterday I spent with Layla. The day before I was knocked out. Then prior to that day I was with Mike and the day before that was the last time I visited grandmother. I sigh with relief, it's only been four days, but it seems like much more.

Anyway grandmother doesn't know about my... family troubles and I intend on keeping that way. I could always camp out at her vacant house that she steadfastly refuses to sell, but that's the backup plan. Eventually she will sell the house or move back in, so those particular living arrangements wouldn't be permanent anyway.

My final resort is living with a close friend, and I only have one of those. I haven't known them for very long but I trust them. I stand in front of the door with its peeling green paint and ring the bell. A few seconds later the door swings open. The person standing there tiredly rubs the sleep from their eyes. In the doorway is a man with brown hair and blue eyes. His name is Michal but you can call him Mike.

He stares for a moment confused. Then he closes the door in my face. Wonderful. I sigh but I'm not really upset, I knock on the door again and it swings open. Mike rubs his eyes and blinks several times. "Sorry I thought I was imagining things."

I roll my eyes at him. "Of course I'm real you idiot."

"Yes, because it's completely normal for you to show up on my doorstep without explanation or warning." He replies sarcastically.

"There is an explanation, but you didn't ask for it so I didn't tell you." I reply confidently.

"What would this explanation be?" He questions.

"Long story. Let me in first." I demand but don't wait for an answer. I clasp Phoebes hand and walk in like I own the place. The interior is better than the outside of the house. Although the space is sparsely furnished it has everything you would need. I keep walking until I see an open door that leads into the kitchen; I go inside and sit on a chair.

I'm starting to regret this decision. I've only know Mike for about two weeks and this could get awkward. I mean, what if he was some sort of axe murderer? He's a nice person, the other side of my brain reasons. I decide not to listen to my brain anymore, it's too confusing. I concentrate on my surroundings instead.

Mike is sitting on the counter waiting for an explanation. I don't really know where to begin. "We need a place to stay." I start. I see his eyebrow raise. Here comes the questions. Phoebes thoughts seem to be in sync with mine, she squirms uncomfortably in her chair.

"Why are you not staying with your parents?" He asks curiously.

Of all the questions, he asked that one. I guess it was inevitable. I decided to be blunt and tell him the truth. "Our parents don't care." This only seems to confuse him more. "Look, I'll tell you the rest some other time, but can we please stay here?" I say confidently.

"No."

My mind flicks to the backup plan. I wonder what grandmother is planning on doing with the house. A voice brings me back to the present. It's Mike, "You have to tell me what happened first."

I roll my eyes. I thought we were past all this? I guess not. Either way, the best form of defence is attack. With this in mind I ask, "I'll tell you our story if you tell us yours." Story isn't the most accurate word but I couldn't think of a more appropriate one.

Mikes eyes widen and his mouth opens and closes unable to form words. He looks like a fish out of water. Phoebe giggles and I roll my eyes. Finally he manages to stutter "How do you know I have anything to tell you? I don't have anything to tell you by the way." He finishes hurriedly. I roll my eyes again. That's the biggest lie I've ever heard. I cross my arms and let a look of complete disbelief rest on my face. He caves after two seconds. "Fine you can stay here. There's a guest room upstairs."