Mike's POV

Mike's POV

I hear the car pull up on the drive and walk over to the window. The dark rain clouds hover above. But Layla's car isn't the only one I see. A black truck of some kind is parked on the side of the road. The car is easily recognisable as Phoebe's fathers.

I cut my stare to Layla's car. I know whats going to happen before it does. The light inside Layla's car is on, illuminating everything. Phoebe rushes out in the night to her father. She climbs in the big black vehicle a feeling of despair passes over me and I know I should run across, get her out. But my feet are rooted to the floor.

Emma struggles with her seatbelt unable to get out of the car. I silently pray, seeming as I'm frozen to the spot. A shiver runs down my spine when finally, Emma frees herself. She runs across but the car is already starting. She won't make it. One step behind, one step too late.

But just as the car pulls up, she leaps. She hooks her arms around the tyre on the boot. Thats when I act. The invisable force is no loger holding me. I run from the house into the street, Layla does the same. Emma is nowhere to be seen. I hold my breath.

Seconds later the three get out of the car. Emma standing between Phoebe and her father. It's going to be okay. Emma has the impassive look on her face. The one that comes out when she's blocking everyone out, becoming in control of her emotions. She shouldn't have to put on that front but right now she needs it. The only one who can break her walls is Phoebe.

But I thought too soon. Her father knows her only weakness and he uses it to his advantage. I reach out to clasp Layla's hand. Its as much as to reassure myself as it is to reasure her. We hang on tight. 

Phoebe recognises the stance and protests. She pulls at her arm. "He's not mother Emma" She defends. 

I swallow tightly. How can she believe that, after everything? I watch Emma carefully. This time she doesn't cover up, lie through her teeth. "No. He's worse." She says. For once she tells Phoebe what he's really like, instead of protecting her from the harsh reality. I guess she's trying to protect her in a totally different way. Her words ring out, the truth in them undeniable.

Father just stares at Emma. "You had to ruin it, didn't you?"

I can't help but glare. How could he? I take one step forward but Layla holds me back. Emma questions her father. If he could still be called that. "Me?" She begins to laugh hysterically. "Me. I ruined it. The irony crack's me up."

Me too, I think.  

But then Phoebe pulls on her arms again. "He didn't do anything Emma!"

I stare at her, and Emmas does the same. "What?"

"He didn't do anything!" She insists.

Emma hopfull, broken voice rings out. Her pain obvious. "Your choosing him, over me?" But Emma already knows the answer.

I'm the only one whos see's her small, almost non-existant flinch when Phoebe says without hesitatation, "Yes."

She next words are whispered so low I barely hear, directed at her father. "You did it. You won, okay? You got what you wanted. You got her."

He smiles cruelly. "You think this is over? I think not." He draws a knife and step forwards once more, determined to rip the knife from his grasp. Then I would make sure Emma was okay. I see the bravest person I knew crumpled on the floor in the rain thats started to fall. All I know is she doesn't deserve this.

But a glint in her eye stops me. She doesn't need my protection. She runs forwards, pushes him. All I see is the gash that opens along her hand and Phoebes terrifyed expression.