Chapter Fifteen

Oh no. Oh God no. He was going to jump.

If I was in his place would I have done the same? Hell no. I would have told the police and got whatever was coming for me. I can't believe he was going to jump. I look up at him, waiting for him to continue. Not really sure if I want to hear the rest.

"Then I was falling. Except I didn't jump, I was pushed. My father framed my suicide. I hit the floor and was knocked unconscious. Three days later I woke up with internal bleeding, broken bones and one serious headache. The fall wasn't high enough to kill me. They didn't believe I was pushed, but it didn't matter. My father was jailed for life because he murdered my brother. And they made me see a therapist so I didn't try and jump off a cliff or whatever." He finished scowling.

I sigh with relief. Especially the last part. That was the Mike I knew and... well lets just leave it at that. I'm very glad he's not crying his eyes out. "So..." I say awkwardly. I'm not really sure what to say.

However Mike doesn't have this problem, "I told you all that and all you can say is, so?"

I whisper shout back, I still don't want to wake Phoebe. "Of course all I can say is so! You can't drop that bombshell on me and expect me to form perfectly articulated sentences!"

He smirked at me, "That's a big word, are you sure you know what it means?" He says tauntingly.

"Do you?" I shoot back smugly.

The smirk slipped off his face "Whatever Em."

I bite my lip. I don't know how many times I've told him not to call me Em. Either way he won't listen so I just grit my teeth and pretend I don't care.

I sit there a moment going over the information I just learnt. It doesn't make any sense. How can you go through all that and still be so cheerful? Then it hit me "What happend to your mother?" I ask quietly but I know he heard.

He sighed "She didn't believe he did it, despite everything. I moved out and we don't speak anymore." A bad relationship with his mom I can relate to. I scowl thinking about my mother.

I look up at Mike to see if he was going to ask for his part of the deal. He looks deep in thought. I guess not then. I sigh with relief, I don't want to tell him yet. What happend to me seems so silly and unimportant now.

I walk up the stairs and slip into my bed. Surprisingly, this time I have no problem with sleeping. The whole world fades to black.

In the morning I get three seconds of peace before everything comes rushing back. Everything hits me like a car and trust me, I should know. I shake it off and check the clock, deciding it's a sufficent time to get up. I laugh at the micky mouse design which is compleate with ears.

I get myself ready but don't wake up Phoebe. She should sleep in for once. I debate on writing a note but I'll only be downstairs. By the time I'm ready the other two wake up, just in time to eat the food I had made. It happend to be bacon and egg, which is my favourie. I'm not surprised though, I've always had useless timing. I make more but by the time I had finally finished it was practically time for lunch.

"We're going to visit Grandmother today Phoebe." I inform swallowing a bite of food.

Phoebe nods in response and Mike orders "I'm coming too!"

Why do you want to come?" I ask sceptically.

"What?" He asks defensivly. "Your grandmother is a awesome old lady!"

I roll my eyes. I'm sure thats the reason. I think he's in it for the chocolate biscuits or maybe he just wants to skip his session of therapy. I really think he needs it, this guy is crazy. Well, perhaps thats a little harsh.

Mike walks away calling out randomly "Purple unicorns!"

Okay I take it back. I wasn't being harsh at all, he really is that crazy. I look wairly up at Mike just in time to see him smash into the glass patio door. I wince hoping he didn't hit his head, he doesn't need anymore brain damage.

a few minutes later we're finally out the door.

When we arrive in grandmothers room she's asleep on the bed. Phoebe glances at me nervously. She always complains about how she can't fall asleep during the day. I walk over to her and gently nudge her awake. Startled her eyes fly open.

Phoebe skips happily over to her while I look on worriedly. Mike and Phoebe however is doesn't seem to notice anything is wrong so I presume I'm just being over concerned. The nurses would tell us if something was wrong.

Grandmother gets up and sits in a chair. She hasn't noticed my leg, or if she did she isn't saying anything. Then she pats the chairs next to her. "Come sit darlings." Dutifully we perch on the chairs either side of her. Mike drifts out of the room but I barely notice. "Last time you were buying things for school things didn't go so well, so..." I tune out for a moment. I hadn't told her and neither had Phoebe. My mother wouldn't have. The hospital probably called her. This means she dosn't know about the... event afterwards. I smile with relief and return to the conversation.

"Thank's!" Phoebe squeels happily as she thumbs through a bag Grandmother had just given her. She pulls out pens, pencils and a lunchbox. It take only a moment to recognise the things she would need for school. She peers into the bag and views the remaining contence before replacing all of the items back.

She throws her arms around grandmother and kisses her cheek. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" She repeats exitedly, bouncing up and down. I also thank our grandmother and a while later the nurses ask us to leave.

We race down the steps Phoebe ahead dancing along happily. I limp after her, and Mike is nowhere to be found. Phoebe stops suddenly and I crash into the back of her. "Phoebe!" I complain. But she's ridged, completly frozen in shock. I follow her startled gaze and meet a pair of gray eyes. Across the street stands our father.

My eyes widen. The nerve of this guy is unbelieveable. Leaving me to fend for myself then appearing out of nowhere. How did he know we were here? Stalker much? I glare at him coldly. I can see Phoebes expression out of the corner of my eye. She looks confused and wistful. I drop my gaze in defeat, Phoebe obviously wanted to talk to him.

We cross the road and stand in front of him. Phoebe clutches her bag tightly and her mouth is zipped shut, so I speak for her. "What do you want?"

He looks me in the eye. The hatered there is unmistakable, it catches me of guard for a moment and I'm sure my face is twisted in confusion. I have done nothing for him to hate me. He sneers at me before relpying "I'm here to talk to Phoebe."

I tense and protectivly draw her closer to me. "You have three seconds."

He rolls his eyes and laughs, "Or what?"

I smile sweetly. "First we'll walk away, and then I'll call the police. Two seconds." The police part is a bluff, but he doesn't know that.

He noticably pales and says. "I want to talk to her alone. With out you..." He is about to insult me but thinks better of it with Phoebe standing right there.

I glance at Phoebe and she nods. "Fine. Where are you going?"

He looks down at me with a sly look in his eyes. "Wouldn't you like to know." With that he grabs Phoebes arm and pulls her towards him. Phoebe pushes him with away chagrin. "Sorry love, let's go." Phoebe looks over to me for confirmation but I don't give it to her. I don't want her to go, but I won't force her to stay. She can make her own desision. When she steps with him into the car I feel like she's chosen him over me. No matter how irrational it may be.

I turn around to see Mike watching, a sad look in his eyes. I jump in surprise. "How much did you see?"

"Enough."

I wonder what that supposed to mean.