three.

+ anne & diane +

Over the weekend, I spent most of my time trying to find my way around Avonlea, passing many farms and barns on my day time adventures, helping my mother set up the new house in the evenings. My hair was sprawled around my head as I lay in bed, keeping all the heat in as I had the sheets piled tights around my body.

"Darling. You need to walk up now" I heard Mother shouting from downstairs, as I rolled over with a groan, opening one of my eyes, not wanting to test her patience as I brushed some of my hair away from my eyes lazily. I sat up with my white bed sheets wrapped around my night dress, almost constricting my legs from moving. I ran my hands over and through my hair, before I stretched them above my head, my back cracking in multiple places which my mother hated, which is why I did it first thing after I woke up so I wouldn't get in trouble for doing so.

As if on cue, mother came into the room with a bowl of hot water setting it on my dresser and placing a towel next to it.  Back in the Manor I had my own bathroom connected onto my bedroom, a porcelain tub ready to be drawn but this house wasn't large enough for that, and I didn't have much time to have a proper wash right now anyway. "Your lunch is already in a basket at the front door, your books are next to it as well. Just get dressed and ready and you should be good to go" she said coming over and kissing me on the head, running her hand over my long blonde hair as I smiled up at her before leaving to do what ever she does in the morning.

We didn't have much help back home in Australia which was odd, especially in a house as large as ours. My mother seemed to do most of the work, in the means of cooking and lightly cleaning anyway, but we did have a few maid come in once a week for dusting some of the tricky to teach spots.

After a i hauled myself out of bed I went over to the steaming bowl of water, looking at myself in the mirror which leaned against the wall behind it. I sighed as I dipped the edge of the towel into the after, running it over my face to remove any dirt. After washing my face,  I moved to the front of my wardrobe, pulling out a purple blouse and white knit jumper, grabbing a pair of grey trousers from my dresser as I laid them all onto my bed, planning which jewellery I wanted to wear in my head. I got dressed quickly, tucking both my blouse and jumper into my pants, reaching under my bed and pulling out a pair of shoes which I buckled onto my feet before making my way back over to the dresser.

I picked up the water bowl, setting it on the floor next to my door so that my mother could empty it later with ease. I opened the first drawer on my dresser to reveal my jewellery boxed and trays. I pushed a pair of diamond earrings into my ears, brushing my hair away from my face to make it easier. I picked up my pearl bracelet and clipped it onto my wrist, before taking one last look at myself in the mirror, nodding my head in approval to me appearance. I grabbed a black coat from the wardrobe before closing the doors carefully, and throwing it over my shoulders, grabbing a hat from top of my wardrobe before running down stairs, hopefully managing to eat something before I had to leave.

Father sat at the table eating some toast, while mother sat on the other side also eating. I sat down and grabbed some toast from the middle of the table taking a massive bite, basically inhaling it. "Slow down, it's not polite" mother said looking at me with her eyebrows raised as I closed my mouth, placing be toast down on the plate in front of my as I instinctively straightened my back and fixed my posture. "Sorry Mother" I said covering my mouth while talking, so she wouldn't shout at me, which is why I seemed to be conditioned to straighten my back every time I heard the word polite.

I quickly finished my toast, while making small talk with my parents as they read over the newspaper, only looking up at me when they were talking to me. My father excused me as a i made my way to the door, pulling my coat on and looking down at the books and basket which were ready on the bench for me to take with me. The books were tied together with string, the excess being in a perfect bow. There was a checkered cloth covering my lunch, tucked in neatly to the basket.