twenty-one.

+ birthday +

I walked down the stairs in a blue dress, my white overdress on and my hair curly as it fell over my shoulder, a spring in my step as I jumped down the last few stairs. I put my hand on the post a so twirled around it, making my way towards the dining with a smile on my face.

I made my way into the room, my family already sitting there as they looked up at me, a smile on my mother's face as she rose from her seat. "Happy birthday, my dear" she told me as she walked over to me, hugging me as she set one hand on the back of my head, kissing my forehead as Tom turned around to look at me from his chair. "It's your birthday?" he asked me as my mouthed let me go, my father taking the section of the paper he wasn't reading and slapping Tom with it.

"Happy birthday" Tom said as I wrapped my arms around his neck from behind, giving him a quick hug before moving onto my father, a smile on his face as I bent down so he could kiss my cheek. "Happy birthday, my darling" he said to me as I straightened up, sitting down at the table as my mother passed me a plate of eggs and toast.

"16, what a delightful age" my mother said as she sat back down, taking her cloth off of the table and setting it on her lap once again. "Delightful, yes" my father said as he looked up at my mother, the two making eye contact as she looked away first, her smile faltering as she looked back over at me. "Would you like to bring Prissy home for dinner tonight, we have a surprise" my mother asked me as Tom practically choked on his eggs, taking a drink of his orange juice as I looked over at him, smiling.

"Yes, I'm sure she would love that" I replied as Tom looked over at me, a smirk on my face as I took a bite of my toast, now much more excited for the day ahead, knowing it would end in some awkward interaction between my brother and my friend.

!

"Oh, Prissy" I sang as I skipped into the school room, the blonde girl looking up at me as Ruby and Tillie smiled at me as I sat down on the bench next to the girl in the light pink dress. "My, I didn't know you could speak to me before you and Gilbert have had your morning smooch" she said to me as she looked up at me, causing me to look over at Gilbert who was engrossed in his book, not even noticing that I had come inside.

"That was a funny one" I told her with a straight face as she laughed lightly, nudging me with her elbow as I cracked a smile, shaking my hand in front of me with excitement. "My mother wants you to come to dinner tonight, she's making cake" I told her as she looked at me with furrowed eyebrows, tilting her head to the side. "Why is she making cake?" she asked me, having cake for desert not a regular thing in anyone's household as they took up too many ingredients. "If I tell you, you can't tell anyone" I told her as I put my finger up in front her, her eyes looking at it as she nodded her head.

"It's my 16th birthday" I told her as her eyes went wide, grabbing my hands as she took in a deep breath. "It's your birthday?" she squealed loudly, everyone turning towards us as I let out a sigh, looking at my lap as I looked back up at her with my eyebrows raised. "Well done, Prissy" I said to her as Ruby and Tillie came over, a smile on their faces as they sat at the bench in front of us.

"It's your birthday?" they asked me as they leaned on our desk, intrigued looks on their faces as they smiled at me. "Yes" I said bluntly as I nodded my head, Ruby squealing as she held her hands out, a wide smile on her face. "And your 16?" she asked me as i nodded my head, the blonde girl letting out an excited giggle as she shook her hand son either side of her head.

"You never told me it was your birthday" I heard a voice ask from behind me as Prissy, Ruby and Tillie's eyes all turned towards Gilbert as I let out a sigh, looking behind me to see the boy there with his hands in his pockets, looking down at me. "It never crossed my mind" I said to him as I stood up, all the girls whispering to each other as Gilbert looked at me with raised eyebrows. "To tell me that it's your 16th birthday?" he asked me as I let out a sigh, looking down at my hands as he reached forwards, taking my hand in his as I looked back up at him, a smile on his face.

"Happy birthday" he said to me as I smiled forcefully at him, nodding my head as he rubbed his thumb over the back of my hand. "Thank you" I said to him as he laced his fingers with mines, his smile faltering slightly as I tilted my head to the side. "I would have got you something" he told me as I laughed lightly, shaking my head as I pointed at him with my free hand. "That's why I didn't tell you, I don't need anything" I told him as he grabbed my finger, shaking his head as he dropped his other hand by his side, taking mines with it.

"Talk you after school?" I asked him as I looked around to see the girls all staring at us, turning back to see Gilbert shake his head at me. "I'm leaving at lunch to go to the clinic" he told me as I nodded my head, itching my face as I let out a small breath. "Dr Prewett will probably invite you around for dinner" I said to him with a fancy accent causing him to smile as he let go of my hand. "See you later then" he told me with a smile as I nodded my head, Gilbert turning as he left, going back to his desk as I turned around to see all the girls staring at me.

"Oh, Gilbert" Prissy mocked as he put one hand on her heart and the other on her head, pretending to swoon. "Leave me alone" I told her as they all giggled at me, causing me to sit back down, the conversation about my birthday commencing once again.

——

A/N: I watched the first few episodes of season 3 today and holy moly i'm in love, let me know what you guys think of it in the comments but please no spoilers
please vote and comment and i'll see you soon

A/N: I watched the first few episodes of season 3 today and holy moly i'm in love, let me know what you guys think of it in the comments but please no spoilers please vote and comment and i'll see you soon