twenty-two.

+ cake +

I sat on my bed with Prissy sitting opposite me, our legs crossed as I laughed at her, picking up a chocolate from the box in between us as I threw it into my mouth, munching it as she laughed at me. "There was no way that you did that, to your mother of all people" I said to her as she nodded her head, letting out a loud laugh as she scratched her chin.

"She shouted at me for what seemed like 4 years" she replied as I shook my head at her, hearing the door close downstairs as I looked towards my open door. "That'll be my father come on" I told her as we hopped off of the bed, making our way through the halls as we made our way down the stairs, Prissy stopping half way as I saw Tom standing in the entrance hall, pulling his hat off of his head as his blonde hair parted in the middle, needing cut as he turned around to see us.

"Hey, Kate" he said to me, smiling as he took his gloves off, his eyes falling onto Prissy as he cleared his throat, smiling at her. "Hello" he said to her as she placed her hand on the bannister, nodding her head at him. "Nice to see you again" she told him as he pulled his scarf off, setting it on the peg as I rolled my eyes, walking down the stairs as I leaned against the archway with my arms crossed looking at him.

"Where were you?" I asked him as he looked down at me, running his hands over his waist coat to get the creases our as Prissy stood behind me. "Riding" he said simply, shrugging his shoulders as he walked into the house, not making eye contact with Prissy as he made his way up the stairs, turning to look at me quickly. "Call me when dinner is ready" he told me before making his way up the stairs, Prissy looking over at me with wide eyes as I nodded my head towards the living room, both of us going inside as she sat down on one omg the couches.

"He'll talk to you at dinner don't worry" I told her as a i sat down at the other end of the couch, propping my feet up as I leaned against the arm rest, turning towards her as she let out a deep breath, pushing her hair behind her ears as she looked over at me. "In other news, I think Josie Pye has a crush on Billy" she told me as I rolled my eyes, picking up a pillow and holding it over my stomach as she shook her head.

"Josie Pye as a sister does not seem like a good thing" she told me as I laughed at her, hearing the sound of crunching gravel as I stood up, throwing the pillow at her and walking over to the window, seeing my father riding a carriage up the drive, all by himself. "Gilbert isn't with him" I said as a i walked back over to the couch, sitting down as Prissy threw the pillow back at me, having to catch it before it hit me in the face.

"You really can't go five minutes without him can you?" she asked me as I smirked over at her, shaking my head and moving my lips, mocking her words as she smiled at me. "I just would have liked him to be here that's all" I said as she scoffed, looking over at me with raised eyebrows. "Am I not enough?" she asked me as I kicked her leg gently, causing it to fall off of the couch onto the floor.

!

"So Prissy, are you planning omg college this year?" my father asked as a i put a piece of chicken into my mouth, watching as my dad asked my friend questions, Tom looking up at her from the other side of the table every so often. "Yes, that's the plan" she replied with a smile as she cut up her potatoes into smaller pieces, placing one into her mouth.

"You're mother told me you don't want to go to finishing school?" mother said as Prissy shook her head, covering her mouth as she looked up the other end of the table. "It was always my intention to attend Queens" she replied as my mother nodded her head, not questioning her anymore as silence took over the table like it did most nights. "I'm supposed to be going to Queensland college back home at the end of February" Tom said, clearing his throat as he looked over at Prissy, trying to smoothie out the awkwardness which was family dinners.

"Doing what?" she asked him as he looked over at my father quickly before looking back at my friend "Mathematics" he replied as my father continued to look down at his plate, holding his tongue for once instead of sighing like he usually did. My father wanted Tom to study medicine at college, but when he decided to study math instead which caused countless arguments in my house.

"That's sounds fun" Prissy replied with a smile as Tom smiled back at her, my father finally looking up at my mouth, raising his eyebrows. "It's something alright" he muttered as I looked down at him, the snarky comment ruining the light conversation as my fathers eyes connected with mines. "Father" I said to him as he let out a deep breath, shaking his head as he set his cutlery down on his plate, picking up his wine glass as he took a sip of it, my mother laughing nervously, both of us thinking a fight between Tom and father would break out.

"Cake anyone?"

——

A/N: so i'm almost finished season 3 and i'm so in love with it I cannot tell you guys because I just can't put it into words
so i've had quite a few chapters pre written so just keep scrolling and I will see you then
don't forget to vote and comment!

A/N: so i'm almost finished season 3 and i'm so in love with it I cannot tell you guys because I just can't put it into wordsso i've had quite a few chapters pre written so just keep scrolling and I will see you then don't forget to vote and comment!