fifteen.

+ the cliffs +

I woke up as my hair was tangled around my, my eyes squinting open as I looked at the drapes, seeing the sunlight coming I through the window, the morning October sun not too bright. I groaned as I rolled over, pushing some of my faces out of my face as I stared at the wall, rubbing my eyes as I turned over, seeing a pan of water and a wash cloth sitting on the top of my dresser, my mother clearly having already been in here to bring it to me.

I reluctantly climbed out of bed, my feet hitting the cold wood floors as I walked towards my mirror, dipping my hand in the bowl as I leaned over it, splashing the water over my face in attempt to wake me up a bit more. I grabbed my brush, pulling it through my miles of hair as I grabbed a ribbon, tying it up into a ponytail to save myself from the mess. I pulled on a black pair of pants and a light blue sweater as I left all my jewellery off today, going downstairs to see my whole family around the breakfast table already, a plate of eggs in my spot waiting for me.

"Where are you off to?" Tom asked me as he watched me sit down, taking a bite on his toast as my mother poured me a glass of orange juice as I thanked her. "The lake" I lied as I took a sip, setting it down as I picked up my fork, shovelling some eggs into my mouth. "Wear a jacket, it's cold" My mother said as I nodded my head, Tom looking at me before staring back down at his plate, our relationship still rather hostile. "Will do" I replied as my father looked over at me with raised eyebrows. "Do you know where Gilbert lives, Kate?" my father said as I almost choked on my eggs, looking over at him as Tom scoffed quietly.

"She could probably find out" Tom said as I shot him a bad looking, causing him to look back down at his food as he pushed it around the hit plate. "I could ask him at school, is there any reason why?" I asked as I leaned forward to see my dad, who was freshly shaven as he held a mug in his hand of presumably tea. "I need to send him a letter, but I won't see him till next monday" he told me as he looked over at me, Tom watching our interaction closely. "I can give it to him at school" I told father as Tom shook his head, leaning back in his chair.

"May I be excused?" I asked as I set my fork down, my mother looking at my plate before nodding her head curtly, causing me to give both her and my father a kiss on the cheek before leaving, not saying anything to Tom. I pulled my boots on at the door before grabbing my coat, leaving the house as soon as I could before Tom could come and give me another lecture about going off to see Gilbert. I walked down the drive in the crisp fall air, pulling my coat on as I made a turn for the woods, hoping I wouldn't get lost on the way.

The birds were chirping as always and the light breeze blew my hair around the trees rustling around me. As I reached the Blythe household the curtains in the window were drawn open, letting in the sun as a small rocking chair on the porch swayed due to the wind. I climbed the stairs a to the porch and set two hard knocks on the door, a short wait being followed by the door being pulled open, a dark skinned lady in a black skirt and white shirt on the other side. She smiled at me as I looked up at her with a smile, her eyebrow raising slightly after I didn't talk for a beat. "Sorry, I'm looking for Gilbert?" I asked as a smile crawled onto her face, opening the door wider as she stood to the side.

"You must be Kate, come on in" she said to me as I took a step into the house, an aroma of spices hitting me in the face as she closed the door behind me, leading me into the kitchen. "I'm Mary" she said to me as she held her hand out in front of her, a smile on my face as I shook it. "It's nice to meet you" I said as she nodded her head, letting out a small laugh. I was about to ask why she was laughing before the back door behind her opened, Gilbert coming into the house with red cheeks and dirt all over his pants and hands. "I'd give you a hug but I don't think you'd want that" he said as he looked down at his hands, as I shook my hand.

"Yeah, I really wouldn't" I said with a smile as Mary looked at him with a stern look. "Go clean up, don't be dragging dirt through the house" Mary said to him as he smiled at me before nodding his head at her, walking through the kitchen and down the hall to get cleaned up. "Hello" A new voice said as a dark skinned man walked through the door, taking his hat off and setting it on the table as Mary took a step forward, kissing him on the cheek before they both turned to me. "You must be Kate" he said to me as he held his hand out in front of him, his voice heavily accented as I smiled at him.

"That's me" I replied as I shook his hand, a smile on both of our faces as he laughed. "I'm Bash, I've heard a lot about you" he said as I blushed slightly, nodding my head with a small chuckle. "Much the same to you" I told him as he let go of his hand, holding them behind my back as Mary smiled at this interaction. "Katie" I heard as I turned around to see Gilbert in the doorframe, a new jumper on as he wiped at his hands with a wet cloth, getting the rearming dirt off of it as he made his way into the room. "Where are you guys headed?" Mary asked him as he held the cloth in his hand, looking at me before his eyes met Mary's.

"Past the woods" Gilbert told her as she looked at him confused for a minute before it clicked within her, the location of where Gilbert was taking me stil la secret to me. "Oh, right" she said as she held her hand out, taking the cloth from Gilbert who grabbed my hand, pulling me out of the room. "It was nice meeting you" I shouted back into the kitchen, almost tripping over my feet as Gilbert pulled me out of the house, slowing down as we went down the stairs. "You're about to break my arm" I told him with a laugh as he finally let go, stopping in his tracks and turning to face me with a smile. "I'm a doctor, I can fix it" he said to me as he started walking backwards towards the woods, which I knew we were going through due to his cryptic clue earlier.

"Not a very good one" I joked as he scoffed, holding his arms out to the side of him. "That one hurt Prewett" he told me as the distance between us gee larger, a smile on my face as I walked towards him. "It was supposed to" I told him as he waited for me at the tree line, both of us walking through the bare woods, taking a path i've never taken before, Gilbert telling me which way to go every once in a while. As we got out of the woods there was a massive field on the other side, Gilbert holding my hand in his once again as we started walking through it. "You want to tell me where we are going?" I asked him as he squeezed my hand once.

"No" he said cheerfully, shrugging his shoulders as I scoffed playfully, letting go of his hand and running forward. We walked through a field that had high grass, I ran one hand over the tips of the blades, letting my hand rise and drop as we walked, the wind blowing the blades softly as Gilbert told me to keep going forward. We walked over a small hill to reveal another row of fields, the horizon in sight, water in the distance as I heard the waves crash against the rocks. "Is that the ocean?" I asked as I turned towards him, pointing in that direction as he smiled at me, nodding his head.

"Now way" I said as I started running forward, Gilbert following me as my coat flapped about behind me, making my way closer and closer to the edge of the cliff. "Don't run too far" he shouted at me as I made my way to the edge of the cliff, making sure not to stand too close to the edge as I looked at the massive body of water ahead of me, nothing surrounding me but blue and green, the water all the way up to the cliffs we were on. "It's pretty huh?" Gilbert asked me as he stood next to me, the sound of the water filling my ears as I took in the scent of the salt water.

"Yeah, it really is"

——

A/N: hey guys, merry christmas and happy holidays!
I had written this chapter a few days ago but I was just on my phone and realised I hadn't uploaded it so here you go, consider it a holiday gift for you!
please vote and comment and i will see y'all soon, hope you had an amazing day

A/N: hey guys, merry christmas and happy holidays! I had written this chapter a few days ago but I was just on my phone and realised I hadn't uploaded it so here you go, consider it a holiday gift for you! please vote and comment and i will see y'...