eighty-one.

+ visitor +

july

I sat on my piano stool, my hands lingering over the ivory keys as I let out a deep breath. I played a few chords, grabbing a pencil quickly and writing it on the paper that was balanced up on the back of the piano, trying my best to transpose a new piece. I hadn't written my own music in a long time now, not having much inspiration, but Tom has written to me asking for me to write him a score. It was always a good and sure fire way for me to calm down and recollect my feelings and thoughts.

I heard someone knock sharply on the front door sharply, making me set down my pencil as I let out a small breath standing up quickly. There was no one else in the house, my father working away at the clinic and my mother taking the day to go and help Bash with the baby. I walked down the hall quickly, not wanting to keep the visitor waiting as I ran down the stairs quickly, my black plants flowing around my legs as I picked up the bottom to avoid tripping over them.

"Coming" I called out, jumping down the last few stairs and running in through the entrance hall archway, pulling the front door open to see Prissy Andrews standing on the front door step. "Hey" I said to her with a big smile as I motioned her to come in, taking a step back as she took her hat off of her head as she stepped onto the tile of the entrance room. "Sorry I've shown up unannounced" she said to me as I closed the door gently, shaking my head at her.

"It's not problem, I haven't seen you in a while" I said to her with a laugh as we hugged quickly, Prissy letting out a sigh as she squeezed me tightly. "I'm sorry, I've been sitting my last exams in the past month" she said to me as she pulled away, letting out a small laugh as she pushed a stray bug of hair away from her face. "You're officially an adult now aren't you?" I asked her as she grasped her small bag in front of her, a wide smile on her face as she nodded her head at me firmly. "Scarily, yes" she said with a small laugh as I smiled back at her, pushing my hands into my pockets as I raised my shoulders.

"What's on the agenda then? Find a little town with a class full of children?" I asked as she let out a heavy sigh, tipping her head back as I took her hat from her, setting it on the hat stand. "I have so much to tell you" she said to me as I smiled, pointing towards the drawing room as I offered to take her back silently, to which she declined, holding onto it tightly. "Come on, no ones home" I told her as I lead her into the room, the floral wallpaper shining under the summer sun that was gleaming through the curtains.

I collapsed onto the couch, Prissy sitting next to me as she balanced her bag next to her. I pulled my legs up, crossing them as I held an embroidered pillow against my chest raising my eyebrows at her. "I approached my father about passing part of the company down to me" she said to me as I raised my eyebrows at her, her cheeks flushing red as she leaned back with a huff. "What?" I asked her with a small laugh, as I looked at her with my head tilted to the side in shock.

If there was one thing I knew about the Andrews family is was that the pride and joy of Mr Andrews life was his farming business. "Yeah, it's as crazy as it sounds" she said to me as she closed her eyes, shaking her head as I stayed silent for a moment, not knowing how to reply. "How did he react?" I asked her cautiously, making her look over at me with her eyebrows raised. "Exactly how you would assume he would" she told me shaking her head as she let out a deep breath of anger.

"He had the audacity to say 'Someday Priscilla you will do your husband proud' after I had written out a 5 year proposal on the future of our farm" she ranted, waving her hands about in front of her as her cheeks went red in anger. "Billy can barely write his name without getting bored before the L's" she shouted, making me smile at her as she looked over at me, making the smile wipe away from my face, clearing my throat. "So what now? Will you try again?" I asked her, making her let out another countless sigh as she nodded her head at me, flipping back onto the cushions behind her.