twenty-three.

+ apple pie +

I knocked on the door of Gilbert's house, taking a step back on the porch waiting for an answer, the porch frosty under my feet, the winters night bringing frost and cold air with it. Gilbert opened the door, a smile on his face as he stood to the side, letting me in as I pulled the hat off of my head, holding it in my hand as Gilbert closed the doors.

"I need to run outside to help Bash with the fence, the wind blew it down the other night" he said as he took my coat from me, hanging it on the hook as I nodded my head, rubbing my hands together to try get some heat. "Mary is in the kitchen" he added as I nodded my head, both of us walking through to the kitchen to see Mary working at some dough on the table. "Don't be dragging sort through the house" Mary said to Gilbert looking down at his shoes as he laughed, kissing me on the cheek quill you before making his way towards the door, pulling his red coat back on.

"I'm on my way out, I'll see you two in a bit" he told us as he pulled his hat on, waving as Mary turned towards me, a small smile on my face as I held my hands out. "What are you making?" I asked her taking a step closer to the table to see her not towards the apples which were on the other end of the table. "An apple pie, we have an abundance of the things" she said laughing while folding the doe over and working the heel of her hand into it.

"Would you like help?" I asked her politely, raising my eyebrows as she nodded her head, rubbing her lips together. "Sure why not, can you cut up those apples?" She asked me pointing to the apples next to a wooden slab, a sharp knife next to them as a i nodded my head, rolling the sleeves of my sweater up as I moved the slab closer to me, picking up the knife. "Do you like living here then?" I asked her, looking up before one of the apple in half with much difficulty. "It's different to the Bog, it's quiet" she said simply, shrugging her shoulders as she picked up the dough, setting it in a bowl that was next to her.

"It is a farming town" I replied with a shrug of my shoulders, a small laugh escaping her lips. "That explains the farms then" she replied jokingly with a big smile, shaking her head as I cut the apples into cubes, pushing them to the end of the board. "How do you like it here?" she asked me as I looked up at her with a smile, nodding my head in reply. "I love it" I said simply, shrugging my shoulders as I let out a sigh, now calling Avonlea my home.

"What do you want to do when you finish school?" She asked me, looking up at me as she grabbed the pie tray from beside her, rubbing some butter into it.
"I never really thought of it" I started, continuing to look down at the apples as I rubbed my lips together. "I guess I'd like to continue with my music, but I'd eventually want a family I mean" I said, setting the knife down as I tucked a stray strand of hair behind my ear.

"Yes, well isn't that what every young girl wants out of life" she said chuckling as I looked up at her, a raised eyebrow as she looked at me with a smile. "Any plans for you?" I asked her as she let out a deep breath, letting go of the pan as she put her hands on her skirt, smoothing it out as a i saw her large stomach, my eyes growing. "How did i not notice?" I exclaimed with a wide smile as she shook her head at me. "Well I'm due rather soon" she told me her skirt flooded out once again, hiding her stomach as she placed a towel over the dough.

"No one has ever mentioned it, I thought Gilbert have said" I said as she shook her head, laughing at me as she picked up the bowl, moving it away. "It must have slipped his mind" she said with a laugh as I pushed the cubed apple into the empty bowl as I picked up another, cutting it in half. The door opened and Gilbert and Bash walked into the room, Bash wiping his hands on a dirty rag as he smiled at me, looking over at Mary and nodding his head at her.

"Nice to see you again Kate" he said to me, a bright smile on his face as he looked down at his hands, debating putting one out to shake before he decided against it due to the dirt. "As to you" I replied, looking down at the apple I was cutting to make sure I wasn't going to slice my finger open. Gilbert walked over to me standing beside me with his mouth open, his head slightly tilted forward, asking for some apple. I laughed and picked up a piece and threw it into his mouth, before putting one in my mouth as well.

He quickly kissed me on the cheek, causing me to giggle, before sitting down in the chair next to me, leaning back as Mary looked over at him. "Did you manage to fix the fence?" Mary asked him, Bash taking a seat across from Gilbert, who nodded his head. "It's all safe and sound now" Gilbert replied leaning his elbows on the table as she slapped his arm, telling him to move them as she pointed over her shoulder. "Go and get cleaned up then, and change your clothes as well" Mary said to him giving both of the boys a smug look as Gilbert and Bash smiled at each other.

The chairs squealed on the hard wood floor as Gilbert and Bash left to go and get a change of clothes. "He talks about you a lot you know that?" Mary said to me, wiping the flour on her hands onto her apron and taking a seat in the chair Bash was in, taking a break from baking as she let out a deep sigh. "Yeah, well I am amazing" I joked, picking up the board and pushing the apples into the bowl, setting down the board as she handed me a towel to wipe my hands on. "No, he like boasts about you. It's either Katie this, or Katie that" she said with a smug expression on her face, my cheeks heating up from the mention of Gilbert talking about me to his 'family'.

"You should come over more" She told me as I laughed, nodding my head as I took a seat across from her, putting the towel down in front of me. "I definitely will be, especially with all the good things i've been hearing about your cooking" I told her with a nod of my head as she held her hands out on either side of her. "Well you might need to help cooking once this baby come, god help the two of them when it comes to the stove" she said as I laughed at her remark.

——

A/N: so one thing I realised while watching season 3 was that I have not mentioned the fact that mary and bash had a baby in this book yet, so i'm going to have to make Delphine a little younger than than she is in the show so please don't hate me for that