seventy-three.

+ katie +

I didn't know what my objective was with barging out of the barn, but I wanted to leave Billy, his red cheek and the countless pairs of staring eyes behind as I ran down the gravel drive. "Katie" Gilbert shouted from behind me, chasing after me, his feet crunching on the gravel as I kept running, not wanting to talk to him right now. "Katie" he said one more time as i stopped turning around as I stared at him, his jacket unbuttoned as he looked over at me, his eyebrows raised.

"What, Gilbert?" I shouted at him, making him look back at the barn as he pointed at it, turning back to me. "What was that?" he asked me as I stared at him for a minute, shaking my head at him as I clenched my jaw. "Why do you care, Gilbert?" I asked him, my voice slightly raised, making sure he could hear me from the distance we stood apart, but my voice also laced with my residual anger which was  spilling over.

"Because I care about you, Katie" he said to me, matching my volume as I scoffed, looking past him at the dark fields as I shook my head. "Stop calling me that" I shouted at him, leaving him speechless as I took a small step back, balling my hands into fists by my side. "You can't call me Katie while your future wife clings to your arm" I said to him, once again Gilbert not saying anything to me as I pointed back in the direction of the barn.

"You can't call me Katie as you show her parents around, presumably about to ask to have a word with her father to then ask his blessing for his daughters hand in marriage" I added, his eyes never breaking contact with me as my breathing got heavier, shaking my head at him. "You can't call me Katie as I sit here watching you move on as I pine over the feeling in the pit of my stomach" I shouted, tears pricking they back of my eyes as they threatened to leak out.

"You can't call me Katie as I watch you fall in love with someone else while I'm still desperately in love with you, Gilbert" I said finally, utterly defeated as I held my hands out to either side of me, shaking my head at him as I gave him time to say something. He didn't look very surprised, his mouth slightly parted as we held eye contact. "I-" he started, not being able to finish his sentence as he stared at me, swallowing hard as I let out a deep breath, shaking my head.

"Why did you come after me?" I asked him, no longer shouting with anger but still having my voice raised. He doesn't have to, it's not his job anymore to make sure that I'm okay, I could have just stormed out tonight and I wouldn't have questioned it if he didn't ask me about it, tonight or any other day. Yet here he was, chasing after me after I slap someone in the face in front of the whole of Avonlea.

"I don't know" he said, shrugging his shoulders nonchalantly as he rubbed his lips together, not being bothered to think of an answer, even though I already had a rough idea of what he was avoiding to say to me. "Well you shouldn't have" I said to him as I let out a shaky breath, tucking my hair behind my ears as I looked around quickly, the moonlight being the only thing illuminated both of out faces. "Why not?" he asked me as I stared at him once again, out eyes finding each other in the moonlight as I made the decision as quickly as anything, finding myself running back to the barn.

Running back to him.

He didn't move as I put my hand on his cheek quickly, the warmth from his skin spreading through out me, pushing my lips straight into his as I kissed him. I highly expected him to push me off of him and object as soon as our lips touched, staring at me confused as I apologised for it. But he didn't, kissing my back gently as he put one hand on my upper arm, our lips moving in sync as they once did, but the time of the our very first kiss in my bedroom felt like a distant memory, miles away from us as we stood here in the moonlight, kissing.

The scent of Gilbert Blythe consumed me once again, the smell of fresh apples and vanilla mixing so perfectly as I inhaled it softly, having missed it for so long now. I pulled away as I kept my eyes closed, dropping my hand from his cheek as we still stood rather close, both of our breathing heavy as I the sound of my heart beating filled my ears, Gilbert probably being able to hear it with how loud and fast the rhythm was in my chest.

"Goodnight, Gilbert" I whispered to him, taking a few steps back slowly as I turned around, walking away from him, the gravel crunching under my boots as I wiped the tear away from my cheek, making my way back to my house. I couldn't hear Gilbert's footsteps following after me, probably stuck still in his spot as he watched me go, his eyebrows knitted together.

Just as I had asked, he didn't come after me.

——

A/N: AHHHHH, I LOVED WRITING THIS CHAPTER IM NOT GOING TO LIE
you're welcome to all the Kate and Gilbert shippers (which i'm pretty sure we all are ngl) but I have been planning on this moment for ages now so here you go
please vote and comment and I will see you all soon hopefully with more excited questions lol

A/N: AHHHHH, I LOVED WRITING THIS CHAPTER IM NOT GOING TO LIEyou're welcome to all the Kate and Gilbert shippers (which i'm pretty sure we all are ngl) but I have been planning on this moment for ages now so here you go please vote and comment and...