thirty-nine.

+ mary's son +

The small stones crunched under my boots as I made my way up the drive, holding a small basket in my hand as I sort of swung it, hoping not to drop the content before I managed to get inside to deliver them. I knew it was a Saturday, meaning Gilbert wouldn't be in, but I was hoping to catch Mary before she headed out to the Green Gables for afternoon tea with Delphi which I know she did quite often.

I walked up the steps to the back door of the Blythe household, the porch creaking under my feet as I pushed the door open. There was a smile on my face as I swiped through the kitchen seeing who I could see, a man sitting at the table, eating a bowl of soup as his eyes drifted up towards me letting out a deep breath as he put his spoon into his bowl before standing up.

"Can I help you?" he asked me, his voice sounding annoyed and strained as I closed the door gently, looking around the room one more time before I looked at him again. "Hello" I said awkwardly, standing at the door, not wanting to move under his gaze as he stared at me, neither of us talking for a minute as I stared back. "I don't think we've met" I said to him as he raised his eyebrows, probably fighting the urge to roll his eyes as I smiled weakly at him, slightly intimidated.

"Kate" I heard Mary said as I turned my head to the left, seeing the women walking down the hall with a smile on her face, walking into the kitchen as she wiped her hands on the apron which was around her waist. The man let out a breath as he sat back down, picking up his spoon in his hand again as Mary looked at him before looking over at me once more. "I see you've met Elijah" she said as she pointed at the man, nodding my head as I recognised the name. "Oh, you're Elijah" I said , pointing at the man with a smile now, the man looking up at me with a nod of his head.

"Be nice" Mary said as she shot Elijah a look before turning back to me, a smile on her face as I looked back at her. "Gilbert isn't here honey, he's gone to Charlotte town" Mary told me as she walked over to the table, picking up the extra bowl that was there as she walked over to the stove filling it up. "I was here to talk to you actually, I have some cakes from Anne's birthday yesterday, I thought I'd bring them over" I said, walking over to the table as I set the basket down, pulling the cloth off of it.

"I think this is your cloth as well from the last time you gave me the banana bread" I told her, pointed at the cloth as well as Elijah looked at me, not saying anything as Mary came over, looking into basket as she set down the bowl she was carrying. "Wow, those are some nice cakes" Mary said with a laugh as she pulled the cloth they were sitting on out of the basket, lying them on the table. "The Barry's had them specially made in Charlotte town" I told her as her son shook his head, my eyes drifting towards him without him knowing.

"I don't doubt they did" Mary told me as I smiled nodding my head as I put my hand back around the basket. "Do you want some soup?" she asked me as I shook my head, pointing my thumb over my shoulder towards the door. "No, my mother is expecting me back home, I just told her I'd visit you quickly" I told her as Mary nodded her head, turning around to grab a spoon for herself out of the wicker basket next to the water pump which held some cutlery.

"I'm going to get going, I hope you enjoy the cakes" I told them both as Mary smiled at me, nodding her head. "I'll presumably be back tomorrow after school as always, it was nice meeting you" I said to Elijah who looked up at me and smiled forcefully, almost against his will as Mary gave me a quick hug before I left the house, leaving as quickly as I had came.

——

A/N: this is a really short chapter I know but i'll update a few times today to make up for it I promise
Elijah was quite a big plot point of season 3 episode 2 so I felt as if I had to write him into the book so I did and I hope you enjoyed it, I tried to gauge his character off of what happened in the show so this is what it came to
please vote and comment and I will see you soon

A/N: this is a really short chapter I know but i'll update a few times today to make up for it I promise Elijah was quite a big plot point of season 3 episode 2 so I felt as if I had to write him into the book so I did and I hope you enjoyed it, I...