forty-one.

+ talk +

I walked into the house, letting the door close behind me as I set down my basket on the floor of the entrance room, pulling my hat off of my head as it ruffled up the top of my hair before I placed it up on the hook, letting out a deep breath as I picked up my basket again taking my coat off before I made my way into the house.

The parlour door was closed as I crept past it, walking into the kitchen and setting my basket onto the table before turning around, immediately making my way towards the stairs, one of the floorboards creaking loudly as i cringed. I continued to make my way over to the stairs, getting up a few before the parlour door opened, my mother standing in the door frame as I took another step up the stairs.

"Catherine, could you come in here for a moment?" my mother asked me as I turned around, looking at her face which adorned a sad smile, holding the door in her hand as I nodded my head slowly, making my way back down the stairs and into the front parlour. My father was there, sitting on the large chair with his eyes closed, his hands clasped on his stomach as he looked over at me quickly, my mother closing the door behind me.

I looked at both of them warily, my father leaning forward in his chair as I sat down on one of the floral couches, my mother sitting next to me with her hands in her lap, her back completely straight as she looked over at my father. "Is everything okay?" I asked as my father cleared his throat, looking over at me as I looked at my mother, officially getting scared of the eeriness of this situation.

"We need to talk to you" my mother said as I leaned forward a little bit, my father nodding his head as he let out a deep breath. "We've been talking" he started as I nodded my head, the pause in his speech making my heart pound in my chest, almost being able to hear it in my ears. "We know your plan was for you to attend Queens University at the end of the year, but we personally want to send you back to Australia" my father old me as I looked over at him, my eyebrows furrowed as I took in that information, letting out a small breath.

"Why?" I asked, turning around to look at my mother who was staring at her hands, not going to answer me as I turned back to my father. "You're place as Sydney Finishing School has been accepted" he told me as my heart pounded even louder, both of my parents probably being able to hear it with how loud it was. "But why?" I asked them, my voice coming out a lot quieter than what I had anticipated, still in shock of the news which they had burdened me with.

"Because there's people asking about you and when you'll return back to Australia" my mother said as she finally looked up at me, an even more confusing look on my face as I shook my head. "Well I don't want to" I said, putting my hands on my knees as my father looked at my mother, clearly shocked about the sign of my defiance. "It's not up for debate, Catherine" my father said to me, my voice giving off a tone that could not be questioned, causing me to stand up quickly, the anger taking over my body at this point.

"You never asked me what I wanted, I love it here in Avonlea" I told them as my father sighed, moving back in his chair as he looked at me, not saying anything for a moment as I shook in my boots, clenching my fists to stop me from crying. My father wasn't particularly a scary man, but when he needed to be he was very intimidating, which was coming in handy right now.

"This isn't about what you want" he said simply, a s off escaping my mouth which I would probably regret later, not turning around to see my mothers face right now. "So when you said people are asking about me you mean people who want to marry me" I said, my voice raised at my father for the first time, never having shouted at him before. "They don't even want to marry me, their fathers want them too" I shouted, officially angry as I held my fists down by my side, tears threatening to escape from my eyes.

No one spoke as I scoffed once more, shaking my head as I looked directly at my father. "Well I refuse to go, I like it here" I told him, pointing at the ground as he looked up at me, moving his head to the side, probably letting me shout at him before he would rebuttal. "I have friends, I have Gilbert" I said, pointing at the window as my father finally stood up, shooting out of his chair as he stood across from me, towering over me which almost made me shrink.

"Gilbert knows he isn't going to marry you, I've spoken to him" my father shouted at me, finally holding his ground as I moved back a little bit, his voice bouncing off of the walls as my face dropped with my emotions, more sad than angry now. "You what?" I said, not wanting to believe him as he let out a sigh, clearly not wanting to have told me that as he looked at my mother quickly, who I still haven't looked at. "When?" I asked, my voice a lot quieter than it was five moment ago as my father shook his head, no longer shouting at me.

"A few weeks ago, I made it aware he didn't have the credentials" he told me as I looked down at the ground, a tear finally falling from my eye as I bit down on my lip. "I then offered him the trainee position at the medical school in Camperdown where i'm on the board and he refused it" he told me as I shook my head, looking back up at him as the tear fell off of my chin, causing me to wipe my cheek quickly as my nostrils flared.

"I can't believe you" I spat out at him as I turned towards my mother who was looking at me, her eyes watering as she still sat on the couch. "You both always preached that you want us to be happy, yet you're selling me off to the highest bidder" I shouted, my mouthed shaking her head as she let out a breath, trying to reach out from me as I moved away, not wanting her to touch me as I held my hands up.

"Don't" I said as I moved around my father, leaving the room as I slammed the door shut, stomping through to the entrance room as I grabbed my coat, opening the front door and leaving the house, tears streaming out of my eyes as I closed the door, leaving the whole house practically shaking as I ran down the drive and towards the woods, letting out a sob.

——

A/N: I wrote these already and i know i've updated like twice already but you're getting another double update dont say I don't treat you right
I hated writing this chapter but i'm sorry, there had to be some drama

A/N: I wrote these already and i know i've updated like twice already but you're getting another double update dont say I don't treat you right I hated writing this chapter but i'm sorry, there had to be some drama