twenty-nine.

+ headache +

My eyes fluttered open to a bright light, soft satin sheets surrounding my body as I ran my hand over it, looking around the unfamiliar room. I was lying in a four poster bed, thin chiffon sheets hanging from the roof of it and tied around the posts as I turned my head. There was a small vanity sitting underneath the large beautiful windows which were the culprit for all the light, which was hitting off fo the crystals on the chandelier.

For a split second I thought I was back in Australia, lying in my bed on a Saturday morning as I waited for my maid to come and wake me up to help me bathe for the day. I shook my head, trying to get rid the thought of home as I laid my head back onto the plumped pillows, letting my hair fan out on the satin.  As I laid there looking at the pattern on the roof of the bed the door opened and a short bald man stood in the door frame his hands clasped in front of him.

"Good morning, if it suits you you can join the rest of the household for breakfast in the dining hall" he said before signalling to the chair that held clothes on it, causing me to sit up as I nodded my head at him showing him I understood. "Miss has extra clothing for you to wear, take your time and once you leave the room take a right, left then right again" he said before leaving the room, letting the door click behind him as I let out a loud sigh, rubbing my head with my hand, having a bad headache.

I swung my legs over the edge of the bed, pushing all the sheet off of me as my feet hit a very fluffy rug, making me scrunch my toes in it as I tipped my head upside down, running my fingers through my hair before straightening my neck once again, black spots crowding my vision for a moment. I pulled the light orange dress over my head, it weirdly fitting rather well as I zipped up the back, the dress having long sleeves as I ran my hands down it. I laced the leather boots into my feet, which were a little too big, giving me lots of room for my toes as I looked at myself once in the mirror to see my makeup rubbed under my eyes.

I groaned before wetting a small white towel in some water before wiping it under my eyes, staining the cloth black. Some of the black stained under my eyes, making me look tired, but the truth is I was tired so I didn't care. I left the room, making sure to make the bed on my way out to be polite, as I looked down each end of the hall, painting hung up on the walls as I let out a breath. I followed the directions I had been saying in my head over and over again since the man had told me them.

I turned the corner to see Josephine Barry and Cole sitting next to each other at the large table, laughing as they ate bowls of yoghurt with fresh fruit, a rack of toast sitting in the middle of them. I stood in the doorframe as Miss Barry looked up at me, smiling as she sat down her spoon. "Catherine, good to see you looking less frazzled" she said to me with a smile as Cole turned towards me, waving as a i made my way into the dining room, taking the seat across from Cole, a bowl of yogurt sitting there waiting for me to eat.

"Thank you for letting me stay over, I'm sincerely sorry about your carpet" I told her as she nodded her head, Cole smirking at this interaction as I picked up the spoon. "Don't worry about it, it's nice to see the young people of today still know how to live" she said to me with a laugh as she squeezed my hand, picking up her teacup and taking a sip. "I was wondering, why my parents believe I'm here?" I asked her as I held my hands in my lap.

I was secretly hoping that they didn't know the real reason for my weak stomach last night, because of my father knew I'd probably be locked in my room for a week. "I told them you weren't feeling too well, and then suggested you stayed the night" she told me as I nodded my head, looking down at the yoghurt in front of me. "You can eat, dear" she told me as I smiled, picking up the spoon and stirring it in the bowl.

"Thank you, for not telling my parents" I said to her as she laughed lightly, setting down her teacup as she shook her head, putting her cloth napkin up on the table. "I did not believe they would take the news of your inebriated self very well" she told me as I nodded my head at her, a smile on my face. "Thank you, and I'm sorry" I told her as she waved her hand at me, pushing her chair back as she stood up, smiling at Cole and I before leaving the room.

"I'm sorry" I said to Cole as he looked up at me with raised eyebrows, holding his spoon over his bowl as he tilted his head to the side. "Sorry for what?" he asked me as I shrugged my shoulders, putting some yoghurt into my mouth quickly. "I'm not sure but I'm probably I did something last night" I told him as he laughed at me, shaking his head as I smiled at him. "You only hugged me a few times" he told me as I let out a laugh, putting my head in my hands, my headache still very present.

!

I pushed open the door to my fathers clinic, moving into the building as the bell above the door dinged, letting the door close behind me as I wiped my snowy boots on the carpet. "Hello, do you have an appointment?" a blonde girl said as she made her way out of one of the room, an english accent hinting her voice as she smiled at me, making her way behind the receptionist desk as she smiled at me.

"No, I'm Catherine, my father owns the clinic" I told her as she laughed, nodding her head as she clasped her hands in front of her. "Oh sorry, I'll just go get him for you" she said as she walked down the small hall to my fathers office, Gilbert walking from around the corner she just turned down as he saw me smiling at me.

"Morning" he said to me as he walked over to me, stopping as I held my hand out to keep him from coming any closer. "I wouldn't come too close" I told him as I dropped my hand, smiling weakly at him as he laughed lightly, pushing his hands into his pockets. "How are you feeling?" he asked me as I sighed, putting my hand on my forehead as I pointed at him. "Like someone hit me in the head with a brick" I told him as he laughed at me quietly, not wanting to make any loud noises around me.

"Who's that girl?" I asked him, looking back up at him as I pointed down the hall she had walked down. "Winifred, she's the secretary" he told me as I nodded my head, hearing footsteps as my father and Winifred came around the corner, Gilbert clearing his throat as he moved away from me, a smile on my fathers face as he walked over to me, kissing the top of my head. "How are you feeling, darling?" he asked me as he put his hands on my shoulders, holding me at arms length.

"Tired" I told him as he nodded his head, turning towards Winifred who was watching our interaction. "Miss Rose, if you could divert all my patients into room 1" he said to her as he turned back to me, rubbing my arm with his hand as I looked up at him, probably still looking extremely tired due to my make up. "You can sleep in the extra one" he said to me as I nodded my head, looking over at Gilbert who smiled at me, laughing at my current state, causing me to sneer at him jokingly before looking away.

——

A/N: Winifred?? sorry don't know her 🤷🏼‍♀️
just kidding, felt like I should at least include her a bit considering Kate's dad literally owns the clinic I feel like she would have met kate at some point
please vote and comment and i'll see you soon

A/N: Winifred?? sorry don't know her 🤷🏼‍♀️just kidding, felt like I should at least include her a bit considering Kate's dad literally owns the clinic I feel like she would have met kate at some pointplease vote and comment and i'll see you soon