eighty-six.

+ victory +

I stood in the kitchen, lifting up the pitcher of fresh juice that Miss Stacy had prepared as I poured it into the glass I was holding in my hand. We had all gathered in Miss Stacy house, celebrating our victory over cake and decorated cookies, having time to talk about our success. I held my glass in my hand, picking up a small cake as I took a bite, Miss Stacy walking hot beside me as she smiled brightly, picking up her own glass.

"Well are you pleased?" she asked me as she filled it up, making me laugh as I nodded my head at her, swallowing the mouthful of cake quickly. "I'm exhilarated" I said to her with a small laugh as she nodded her head at me, agreeing as I let out a small sigh, holding my glass with both hands in front of me. "What do you think will happen now?" I asked her, the teacher looked over at me as she smiled softly, thinking for a moment, the soft glow of the lantern shining on her face. "Definitely another electric, and properly edited issue of the newspaper" she said loudly as he grabbed everyone's attention, claps falling through the room. "And some general community enlightenment" she said as she held her hands out on either side of her, Tillie letting out a loud cheer.

We all followed her as she cheered and clapped, laughing along as I nodded my head, my smile so wide that my cheeks were aching. "Hopefully so" I replied with a firm nod of my head as everyone went back to their laughter filled conversations. "Thank you, Miss Stacy" I said gratefully you her, turning back towards her as she smiled at me, tilting her head to the side.

"I shall miss being under your wing when I leave" I said to her a sad smile as she let out a sad sigh, wrapping her arm around my shoulder as she gave me a side hug. "I will miss you too" she replied to me as she rubbed my shoulder with her hand, letting me go with a smile and reassuring nod of her head as she moved into the crowded living room. I took a quick drink of my juice, looking around to see groups of people chatting away to each other, laughing loudly as it rung through the small house.

I let out a small sigh as I turned around, moving to the front door as Prissy smiled at me, taking with Josie and Tillie as I smiled back at her. "Come here" she said to me with a wave of her hand , motioning that I should come and join as I nodded my head. "Just a moment" I said to her as I set my hand on the door handle, pulling it open as I stepped out of the loud house, the cool night air soothing me as I closed the noise out behind me. I moved to the edge of the porch, sitting down and letting my legs hand over the side as I looked up at the bright moon. I stared up at the sky, the stars scattered around the dark sky as I sat under the moonlight. It was nice to take a small moment to myself after this hectic day full of fighting and shouting.

"Are you alright?" someone asked as I turned around, Gilbert closing the door as he stood behind me on the porch, a glass in his hand as I smiled at him. "I don't think I could be any better" I said as he let out a small laugh, looking down at his glass as he cleared his throat. "May I sit?" he asked me as I nodded my head, turning back around as I took a drink, Gilbert walking over and sitting down next to me, looking up at the sky. "Well, you did it" he said to me as I let out a chuckle, shaking my head as I looked over at him.

"We did it" I said as he smiled back at me, a fair distance in between us that could squeeze someone else in if they tried hard enough. "It was a team effort" I added as Gilbert nodded his head, looking back out in front of him as he set his elbows on his knees, holding his glass with two hands. "It was extraordinary" he replied as I nodded my head in agreement, setting my glass down by my side as I ran my hand through my hair, letting it fall down my back. "You were extraordinary" he added, making me laugh as I didn't think much of it, not dwelling on it as I shrugged my shoulders.

"I think it is obvious I have never had a level head" I replied as I looked over at Gilbert, who turned towards me with his eyebrows raised. "Tell me about it" Gilbert said with a smirk as I scoffed, extending my hand and hitting him lightly in the upper arm as we both laughed, a smile resting on my face. We both fell silent, the light from the moon being the focus point of my gaze as I stared up at the stars. "I'm sorry" Gilbert said to me as I let out a small sigh, quiet enough so he wouldn't be able to hear. "I never apologised to you" he said to me as I rubbed my lips together, honestly hoping that we wouldn't have to go into a thorough chat about what had happened.

"I hadn't realised" I said jokingly as I leaned one hand back behind me, leaning back a bit as I smiled at him, the brown haired boy smiling nervously as he nodded his head. "I messed up, I'll admit it" he said as he held his hand out in the air, making me nod my head at him slowly as I tilted my head to the side "We both did but it doesn't matter anymore" I told him as I held my free hand out in front of me, letting it rest on my knee. "We can, as they say" I told him, dropping my hand back down onto my lap. "Move forward" I finished, Gilbert nodding his head as he looked back out in front of him.

"I'd like that" he said with a firm nod a he took a drink of his drink, straightening his back as he let out a deep breath. "She's nice" I said, swallowing the lump in my throat as Gilbert looked over at me, his eyebrow raised in curiosity. "Winifred" I said with my chin raised into the air, a smile on my face to allow him to know I was joking, which I was hoping was enough for him not to break into a conversation about his soon fo be fiancé.

"Yeah" he replied simply, a silent sigh of relief running through me as we both fell quiet for a few beats. "Send me a postcard when you're at the Sorbonne?" I asked him, having a need to fill the silence we had created as he looked back at me, setting his hands behind him as he leaned back much like me, looking up at the stars. "The price of postage from Paris to Australia is probably extortionate" he said with a small laugh as he scratched his chin, my eyebrows raised as I nodded my head, not having thought about that.

"A postcard from Camperdown may be cheaper" he said quietly, my smile dropping as I let out a small sigh. I didn't know what Gilbert's game was anymore. He wants to be friends one moment and then the literal next he brings up the fact he may take my fathers offer and come to Australia when we move back home. I had thought about it, and even if he did come to Australia, he'd probably still propose with Winifred, she seems like the type of girl to follow him or the other side of the world.

I didn't reply, mostly because I didn't know what to say, but also because I just didn't want to. Gilbert looked back at me, almost waiting for me to say that I would like that, but in reality I wasn't sure it was going to work out how I wanted. "I'm going to get more of that sponge cake before Moody finishes it all" I said to him as I grabbed my glass, standing up quickly as I held it by my side, dusting dirt off of the back of my pants. Gilbert looked back ahead on him, a small smile on my face as I looked down at him awkwardly.

"Do you want a slice?" I asked him as he turned back to look at me quickly, shaking his head as he squeezed out a forced smile. "No, I'm fine" he replied to me as I nodded my head at him, taking a small step back towards the door. "Thank you" he added as he turned around around, my hand hitting the door handle as I pushed it open, being engulfed into the sounds of laughter as chatter once again, leaving Gilbert alone on the front porch under the moon and stars.

——

A/N: I told you i'd be back with another chapter so here it is
I'm aware that i'm playing with your emotions at this point and Gilbert and Kate's relationship is an absolute rollercoaster but it's all part of the process
please do not forget to vote and comment and I will see you again soon

A/N: I told you i'd be back with another chapter so here it is I'm aware that i'm playing with your emotions at this point and Gilbert and Kate's relationship is an absolute rollercoaster but it's all part of the process please do not forget to vo...