twenty.

+ the green dress +

There was a sharp knock at the door the next morning, causing me to run from the kitchen and into the hall, sliding on the floors as I pulled the door open, Anne Shirley-Cuthbert standing on the other side with her fiery red hair pulled into braids which fell past her shoulders, her hat sitting on top of her head with a wide smile on her face.

"Good day" she said to me as she took a step into my house, moving out of the way as I closed the door behind her, grabbing her hand. "I think i've found the perfect dress, come on" I said as I pulled her up the stairs, not even giving her a chance to take her coat off as I dragged her into my room, the girl laughing as she held her hat in her hand, having taken it off to make sure it didn't fall off. "Look" I said to her as I walked over to me bed, holding up the dress in front of me as she looked at me, her smile growing even wider as she saw it.

It was an emerald green with puff sleeves which smoothed out just above the elbow, beads detailing the collar and sleeve cuffs. "Oh my" she breathed out as she set her hat on my dresser which was by her side, her hand reaching out for the dress as her hands ran over the smooth fabric. "You don't wear this anymore?" she asked me as she looked up at me, a serious expression on her face. "No, green was never really my colour" I told her as she ran her finger over the head work at the end of the sleeves, putting her hand into the sleeve to feel the fabric between her fingers.

"Would you like to try it on?" I asked her as she nodded her head frantically, deprecate to see how it looks. She got dressed as I was turned around in the corner, playing with my hands as I was waiting. "I'm ready" she said, causing me to turn on my heel to see how she looked, her braids over my shoulders as the dress fit her like a glove, falling around her feet flawlessly as she held her arms out at the side of her. I walked up to her and pulled the puff sleeves down a little bit, balancing them out on both sides as she smiled at herself.

"I love it so much" she told me as I grabbed her hair gently, pulling the hands out of the bottom of her braids and running my hands through her now wavy hair, setting it over her shoulder as I took a step back. I ruffled her hair up at the roots as she laughed, a smile crawling onto my face as I nodded my head. "You look amazing" I squealed as I pulled her to the mirror in the corner of my room, her smile widening as she turned to face me, grabbing her hands and holding them in hers. "Please show me your dress, when you described it you made it sound so beautiful" she gushed swinging our hands in the middle of us as I nodded my head.

I dropped her hands and opened the doors to my wide closet, pulling out the hanger holding my dress on it holding it at my side as her eyes met the white dress. "Oh my goodness, that's absolutely immensely beautiful" she said reaching her hand out to grab the soft material which she ran her hands over like a horse. I threw the dress onto the bed, before bending down to get the shoes I would be wearing. "And these shoes" I said putting them on the floor and slipping the silver heels on my feet, twirling in circle with my hands at my side. They were rather tall, maybe two or three inches, but I was very used to walking in heels.

"I'll finally be as tall as Gil" I said looking down at the silver heels, moving my feet to eat side to show her the full view of the show. "What will you do with your hair?" Anne asked me still staring at my shoes as she finally looked up at me, lifting one foot up at a time to pull the shoes off. "I was thinking a braided crown, and a red nail lacquer to pull the look together" I told her as she let out a deep breath, turning back to my bed to look at the dress. "You'll look like a true bride, if you look like this for a ball I wonder how you'll look on your wedding day" she said with a giggle before I placed the shoes back into the box and pacing the box into the bottom of the wardrobe.

"Hopefully like a very beautiful bride" I said with a laugh as I took the dress off of my bed, moving it back into the wardrobe. "Would you like some tea and pie? I have an apple pie downstairs, mother made it fresh this morning" I asked her before she nodded her head, asking me to turn around so she could get dressed once again. We made our way downstairs and past the recreational room that contained mothers sewing machine and knitting stuff, and fathers office, directing Anne into the kitchen as she took a seat on the wooden stool which sat at the bench pushed up against the wall.

I filled up the kettle with the water pump, placing it on top of the stove top before striking a match to light it, turning the tap on the gas as a flame grew. I cut up the pie, grabbing two plates from the cabinet as I put one on each, grabbing two forks before walking over to the table, placing one down in front of Anne and the other in my place. We sat at the table and ate, while Anne told me all about Josephine Barry's extravagant house. "My good friend Cole lives with her, he used to live in Avonlea but he left. You can finally meet him, you'll love him he's very friendly" she said before taking another bite of her pie.

"This is so delicious, please tell your mother that I think she's an amazing baker" she said finishing her piece before so could even reply to her other statements about her friend in Charlottetown. "Would you like another Miss Shirley-Cuthbert?" I asked her politely in a mock english accent, a laugh escaping her lips. "I would be delighted, Miss Prewett" she replied handing me her plate to me so I could put more pie onto it, which I did before handing it back to her. "We never really make apple pie, only ever strawberry or raspberry" she told me as she cut off another bite, pushing it into her mouth.

"I got some apples from Gilbert's orchard, mother thought she would make a pie before they go off" I said taking the kettle off of the fire and pouring it into two teacups that had tea leaves in them, the leaves swirling about and brewing in that moment. "Gilbert huh? You know he's not as smart as everyone thinks, I won a spelling bee against him once" she said taking her cup into her hands, the stems rising as she shook her head before blowing into the teacup. "He's never mention it before" I said sarcastically taking my seat again and placing my tea cup on the small saucer.

"Yes, well it doesn't seem like Gilbert Blythe to admit to his defeat" she said quietly before taking a sip from her cup, looking back up at me. "When did you come to Avonlea?" I asked her as she smiled at the fond memory, tilting her head to the side as she leaned into the table. "About 2 years ago, I used to live in an orphanage in Nova Scotia before Marilla and Mathew took me in" she told me as I nodded my head, not knowing that vital part of her story. "I've yet to visit Green Gables, you've told me about the blossom tree outside your window" I said she nodded her head, putting her fork down onto her now empty plate.

"Oh yes, you must come over one day. It's heavenly, the flowers smell so scrumptious" she added, smiling back at me as I picked up my fork, putting some crust into my mouth. "I shall see when I can come over, probably sometime after the ball" I replied with a smile, before taking a bite of the apple pie, the succulent apples almost melting in my mouth, one thing I would admit is that the Blythe orchard made some good apples. "I'm glad we are friends" Anne said smiling widely at me as I laughed lightly, nodding my head.

"So am I"

——

A/N: i'm so happy with this friendship!
also, season 3 comes out sooooooo soon, i'm really excited how do you guys feel? any predictions or anything? (please no spoilers to all my canadian readers)
please vote and comment and i will see you soon

A/N: i'm so happy with this friendship! also, season 3 comes out sooooooo soon, i'm really excited how do you guys feel? any predictions or anything? (please no spoilers to all my canadian readers) please vote and comment and i will see you soon