twenty-five.

+ jokes +

Over the course of the last month, the only thing anyone talked about was the ball. It was coming up on the Saturday night and it was now the Friday, and I was guessing there wasn't going to be much learning at school, between the girls talking about their dresses for the past week none stop. As Diana, Anne and I walked to school, Diana was whining about how much better Minnie-May's dress was thane her and how it was no fair as she was oldest.

"It's got a full gown skirt, where as mines just falls down after the waist. She's going to look like a real princess" she said dragging her feet along with her as she lagged behind us a little bit, Anne and I smiling at each other, finding this rather funny. "Nonsense, so will you, I promise there will be at least one boy there who wants to dance with you, you'll like like a princess just as much as Minnie-may will" I said to her reassuringly, nodding my head as I turned around to wait for her, Anne doing the same.

"Thank you Kate, you'll look great in your dress as well" she replied smiling gratefully at me as we made it to the clearing, the school building coming into view. "I cannot wait for everyone to see my dress, it's absolutely amazing, thank you again Kate" Anne gushed a smile beaming from ear to ear.

"Don't mention it, I wasn't getting any use out of it anyway" I told her with a wave of my hand, knowing that it was just sitting and collecting dust in the spare bedroom wardrobe if i hadn't given it to Anne. We walked up the frozen grass as it crunched under us, the early days of a Canadian winter well and truly here. "If you give me your milk I'll put it in the river for you" Anne said with a smile as I nodded my
head, reaching down to my basket. "We might have frozen milk by lunch" I replied, taking the jar from my basket before pulling the checkered cloth back over it, handing her the jar of fresh milk.

I walked into the school building and hung up my coat and hat, Diana and Anne already going to sit down as I took the cloth off of my basket, grabbing a book I needed to give back to Prissy. I turned around to see Gilbert standing in front of me with his hands in the pockets of his pants, the collar of his shirt which was over the top of his sweater a little messed up. "Morning Doctor" I said reaching up to his collar to fix it, flattening it out with my hand. "Thank you" he said smiling down at me, my head already calculating that I would be the same height as him in my shoes for the ball.

"I hope your suit is in better condition than that" I said with a smile as I held the book in my hand by my side. "It's all in perfect condition, I promise you" he said leaning down to kiss my forehead gently as I smiled at the small gesture. "I've got to go and talk to Prissy, walk me home today?" I asked him with a small pout, showing him the book as he nodded his head. "Sure thing" he replied before I walked away and sat on top of the desk that was already pushed up at the side.

"Right, mother said I could wear my hair up last week, but then this morning she's changed her mind and says that I have to wear it down" she whined groaning at the end as she leaned back against the wall behind her. "And why is that bad?" I asked her innocently as she looked over at me with her brow furrowed, my question clearly annoying her. "Because I would look so much better with my hair up, it would show off my earrings as well, they match match my dress perfectly" she sighed, throwing her hands up at the side of her as I smiled lightly, finding it quite funny.

"What colour is your dress?" I asked her as she smiled at me, thinking about her dress. "A deep red, it will go nicely with my nails" she said, showing me her light pink nails as I nodded my head, Josie walking over to us and standing at the side of our table as we both looked at her. "Just so you're aware, my house is also red, I over heard you saying yours was too" Josie said as Prissy giggled, Josie flinching at the noise slightly as Prissy reach out to her, grabbing her hands before she could move them.

"We'll match" Prissy squealed as Josie smiled at her forcefully, snatching her hands back as she looked down at her. "How exciting" she said before waking away, going back to her and Ruby's desk as I looked over at Prissy smirking, as we both started laughing very hard, leaning over and clutching out stomachs. Everyone turned to look at us weirdly, watching us as we laughed loudly, basically crying as I leaned over, Prissy setting her head on my back.

"Oh my goodness" I said straightening my back and trying to conceal my laughter, wiping my eyes which were almost crying with tears. "That was a good move wasn't it?" she asked me as a i nodded my head, Prissy covering her mouth as she let out one last muffled laugh. "Hopefully she won't talk about it for the rest of the day" I told her as she looked over at me with raised eyebrows.

"I doubt that"

——

A/N: another update I have for you today, don't say I don't spoil you!
please vote and comment and I will see you soon

A/N: another update I have for you today, don't say I don't spoil you! please vote and comment and I will see you soon