seventy-one.

+ the corcassian circle +

There was loud folk music ringing through the barn, the older people dancing in pairs in the middle as we clapped along to the beat. I had a wide smile on my face as the girls around me laughed at the sight of Ruby staring at Moody, who was on the stage strumming at his banjo, shooting Ruby a smile which almost made her swoon.

The music came to a stop, the dance wrapping up as we all clapped in celebration, the announcer turning to the band and nodding his head at them quickly. "Next up is the dashing white sergeant, form up in sets of six" the announcer said as we all let out squeals, causing me to grab Janes hand from beside me as i dragged her to the other side of the room.

"Come on, Charlie" I said as I grabbed the boys hand as he smiled at me, turning to the group of the boys as they all jeered at him. He let me drag him into the centre of the room as we stood opposite Anne, Diana and Jerry, forming a circle as the dance floor filled with other people in circles. The music started as the announcer called out instructions for the dance, causing us to skip in the circle for eight counts.

I laughed as Charlie and I spun around in a circle, joining hands with Jane again as we moved onto half of another group, beginning the dance once again. I could see Gilbert and Winifred dancing on the other side of the dance floor, in a circle with Marilla, Miss Stacy and Rachel Lynde, wide smiles on both of their faces as I watched Gilbert take her hands before spinning her in a circle.

I looked away, Jane sticking her tongue out at me as I laughed, shaking my head to try and get my hair out of my face as we spun in a circle. The dance was swiftly over as I found myself clapping for the band once again, moving over to the side of the floor as the band took a small break of playing. "Gilbert has a secret sweetheart" Jane said to me as she tugged me over to the refreshment table, the rest of the girls pouring themselves a glass of water from the pitcher.

"Who is she?" Tillie asked as she took a sip from her cup, turning to look at her from across the room, which wasn't very discrete. "Winnifred, she works at my fathers clinic with him" I told them as they all looked over at me, Josies eyes widening as she nodded her head at me. "She's so pretty" She said as Jane turned to look at her, turning back really quickly. "She's at least Prissys age, if not older" Jane said as I nodded my head at her, knowing that she was technically a women by her age.

"She's wealthy, too" I added, reaching crowd and grabbing a strawberry tart someone had made, taking a bite quickly before they could ask me anymore questions. "She must be from Charlotte Town" Diana said as I nodded my head at her, Josie clearing her throat as she set her cup down on the table.

"I need some fresh air" she said as no one else listened, still discussing Winnifred as I smiled at Josie, letting her know that I had heard her before she walked away, leaving the barn. "I'm so excited for the next dance" Ruby said as she turned around, catching Moody's eye as he looked at her with a smirk, lifting his hand and waving at her as his banjo hung from his neck.

"He looked at me" she squealed as Tillie shared her excitement, talking to her gently as she looked over the room at one of her suitors who was already staring at her. "How are you guys?" I asked Anne and Diana, being met with smiles and nodded as Anne let out a breath. "Dancing is so tiring, but it's so fun" she said as I nodded my head, knowing that I was also a bit out of breath.

This kind of dancing wasn't like the slower dances I was used to back home at the more sophisticated parties, but this was a million times more fun than that ever could be. "Moody's going to write me a song, isn't that romantic?" Ruby said to us as Diana let out a sigh, nodding her head at her as I let out a small laugh. "I would have written you a song" I said to Ruby as she smiled at me, clasping her hands in front of her.

"It was my idea, he says he's never written a song before" Ruby added as i smiled at her, knowing Moody the song want going to be too good, but Ruby was already so in love with him it wouldn't do much anyway. "Next dance is the Corcassian Circle" the announcer said as Josie showed up next to me, grabbing her cup from where she left it and reaching forward to the water jug, filling it up.

"Oh your bows come out, just let me" I said to her as she straightening her back, causing me to take it in my hand as I retied it, Josie not objecting to me. "Thanks" she said to me quietly, taking a drink from her cup as I saw her hand was shaking gently as she lifted up her arm. I looked at the ends of her hair, seeing small flecks of dried paint as I knitted my eyebrows together, picking them out gently and flicking them onto the floor.

"Kate, come on" Charlie said to me, holding out his hand as I Josie turned around to me quickly, staring at her feet as i looked at her. "I'm coming" I said to Charlie, setting my hand on Josie's arm and giving her a comforting squeeze, not knowing why she was sad but knowing that I probably shouldn't ask her.

I set my hands in Charlie's, causing him to pull me into the middle of the dance floor as we stood side by side, one of his hands over my shoulder as we clasped hands, his over around my waist with my hand on top of his. He cleared his throat as we both stared ahead, Tillie turning from her position in front of us as she raised her eyebrows at me.

The music started as we slowly started dancing, Charlie trying to purposely trip me up, but keeping his arm around my waist to make sure I want actually going to fall. We stood in a waltz position as I looked over his shoulder, seeing Billy whisper something over to Kyle, who in turn smiled as he raised his eyebrows, Billy nodding his head at him.

It was so quick and minuscule that I would have missed it if I wasn't staring straight at them, but when Kyle then turned to the boys behind him and whispered something to them, which they then passed on, it hit me what they were whispering about, Billy standing there smugly with his arms crossed, staring over at Josie who was still in her original position.

There in my spot on the dance floor with Charlie's arm around my waist, my stomach dropped immediately as I realised what was going on.

——

A/N: ugh oh, protective kate is going to make an appearance so keep an eye out for that
I know you are probably sick of the self promos but if you're bored in self isolation and you're a Hunger Games fan, please go check out my other book Wave, which is a hunger games fanfic that I think is pretty good, but i'm obviously a little biased
please vote and comment and i will see you soon

A/N: ugh oh, protective kate is going to make an appearance so keep an eye out for that I know you are probably sick of the self promos but if you're bored in self isolation and you're a Hunger Games fan, please go check out my other book Wave, wh...