9. Confused

Mackenzie

I woke up really early as usual,4:15am. I decided not to leave today and just stay in the house. My stomach grumbled and I rolled my eyes before getting up. When I looked at my bed and saw three bodies in it I almost had a heart attack, but then I realized that it was just my friends and I relaxed. I put the blanket and pillow away before hopping into the shower.

Once I got out I put on a white and red Coca Cola t shirt, black hoodie, black leggings and black socks. I laughed when I looked in the mirror, "I look emo." I opened my door quietly and walked down the stairs. I wish Mark was here so we could hang out but he isn't coming back until Thursday and it's only Tuesday. I sat down at the kitchen table and pulled out my phone, no way in HELL am I ever sitting on that couch again. I saw that there was a message from Conner and smiled.

Conner- you up?

Me- Yeah. Why you up so early? You shouldn't be up until like 6:30 for school.

Conner-uHm hypocritical! I usually wake up early so it's eh.

I smiled when I read this. I'm not the only weirdo who's up at 4 am!

Me- same. Wanna get starbucks?

Conner- classic white girl. Tsk tsk. Smh.

I laughed before responding.

Me- Conner F: wears skinny jeans, likes Kylie Jenner. Classic white boy. Tsk tsk. Smh.

Conner- haha very funny. So are we going or not?

Me-YES PICK ME UP BOII

Conner- kk c u soon

Me- kk? C u? But I'm the classic white girl right?

Conner- f u

Me- no u

Conner- no u

Me- NO U

Conner- ugh f u

I laughed and put my phone away before scrawling out a note for Lauren and Johnny, telling them where I went so they wouldn't text me non stop. I heard a knock at the door and I ran to get it. When I opened it I saw Conner standing there with a grin on his face. He had on all black too and when he noticed he laughed. "Look at us emo wannabes!" I laughed and shut the door before we walked to his car. "So, why does everyone keep asking me who I have to marry?" he asked and I tensed up at the subject. "Um, the rich kids around here all have set marriages." I said quietly.

"Do you?" I nodded sadly, "But I'm not going through with it. I'm going go to find a way out." he nodded and lightly put a hand on my thigh. "It'll be okay Kenz." he said soothingly and I just smiled at him and tried to forget about it.

We were sitting in the Starbucks talking and drinking our coffees. "Can I ask you something?" he said and I nodded. "When we first met, you were beaten up." I nodded, "That's not a question, Conner." I said and he put a finger up. "Patience, young one." I rolled my eyes with a grin and waited for him to continue. "Is that girl, the one who called you fat, the one who did it? I know it wasn't just her, there's no way that girl could hurt you that badly. Speaking of it though, how are you doing? Does anything still hurt?" I took a deep breath before answering. "Yes, she did, but it's okay. And I'm fine, still a little sore but I'm used to it." I said with a shrug. His expression turned to a frown. "Why don't you tell anyone? And it's not okay, why would you say that?" he looked worried and it made me feel good that he cared. "If I tell it'll be worse. I told once but, they didn't do anything. And when they all heard that I told it got worse from there. Besides, what they say is true so why would I tell?" He put his cup down and grabbed my hands. When I looked up he was staring directly into my eyes. "Mackenzie. You are not ugly, fat or a slut! You don't deserve all this shit, and fuck whoever you told. They should have done something." I smiled at how delusional he was but it was nice that he cared and wanted to make me feel better. "Okay Con, whatever you say." I said with a convincing grin. He smiled and stood up. "Cmon, it's like 7. We should get going." I smiled up at him and stood up too. "Okay," and we left for school.